DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   CS5.5 Export Crash - Driving me nuts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/505025-cs5-5-export-crash-driving-me-nuts.html)

Peter Rush February 5th, 2012 06:11 AM

CS5.5 Export Crash - Driving me nuts

OK I've a new custom built i7 system (spec specifically for CS5.5 - i7/16GB RAM/CUDA graphics etc) and the first time I'm exporting a lengthy project (about 70mins) from the timeline my PC locks up with a blank screen - usually a garish colour) after about 15-20 minutes in - (it's always slightly different)

I'm editing PAL HDV but exporting PAL SD MPEG2 if that helps - I've also deleted all render/conformed files and cleared the cache

The clips on the timeline have no effects applied either. I've also turned power saving/screen saver off as well (this caused me problems with an older Matrox setup).

UPDATE - I've deleted the entire section where the problem occurs but it's still crashing (major PC CRASH - need to reboot) at about 20 mins!!!!!!

Also the timeline plays from beginning to end flawlessly and if i put a couple of long clips (2 x 30 min clips) on the timeline they render out fine!!!!

Please help?

Robert Young February 5th, 2012 03:28 PM

Re: CS5.5 Export Crash - Driving me nuts

It's not clear from your description what's going on for sure.
However, in my experience with Premiere over the years, one of the classic causes of this sort of render failure is for the RAM usage to max out, and is seen most often with long project renders like yours.
Premiere has a tendancy to accumulate RAM usage and it can get quite high even when it seems like not much is going on.
I have 24 GB RAM on this system & frequently will see CS5.5 usage edge up above 16GB.
So, monitor the RAM usage during render & see if it hits the limit. If it does, then that's probably your answer.
Also, if you export the render to the Adobe Media Encoder queue, you can then close PPro entirely. This will free up a lot of RAM for use by AME to render the project.
Good luck...

Bart Walczak February 6th, 2012 06:31 AM

Peter, I would definitely test your memory (memtest86+ is a good program to use), as well as make sure that your PSU has enough power to drive your computer at 100% CPU AND GPU usage for an extended period of time. Premiere is very efficient at using resources at its disposal. One way to do it would be to use an application like Prime95 to keep your computer at 100% CPU usage. Also, you might want to run continuous GPU benchmarks and see if they also don't force your computer to quit. If any of these turn out to be problematic, you need to locate the culprit and claim your warranty. Although my bet is on PSU. It might also be a cooling issue, you might want to monitor your CPU, GPU and motherboard temperatures, to make sure that they do not overheat.

In short, what you describe looks more like a hardware problem to me.

Peter Rush February 6th, 2012 07:59 AM

Hi - My CPU is ticking along 45-62 which is within it's limits - I'll check my GPU though - I have a 900w corsair Gold PSU which (I was told when ordering) is more than adequate.

Interestingly I can render fine in Mercury software mode, turning off GPU Acceleration (2 hours to encode 70 mins of MPEG2 though rather than 30 mins) and I can work around by using dynamic link and going straight to encore - would much prefer to export MPEG2 direct from timeline though

Can you recommend and app to monitor mainbord temperature?

Cheers

Brian Brown February 6th, 2012 09:18 AM

Your motherboard likely came with an app to measure mainboard temp. You might check the CD that came with it.

I suspect it might be your GPU that's overheating, since you mentioned that you can get through an export in CPU-only mode. You can download a freeware app like GPU-z GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility to keep an eye on GPU temps, GPU load, fan speed etc. It also shows you when PPro is using the GPU to render frames, and how it's loading-up the buffers, so it's an interesting "geek" toy.

If GPU-overheating turns out to be the culprit, some additional case cooling might resolve things.

Best of luck!

Bart Walczak February 7th, 2012 07:03 AM

Great idea with turning Mercury hardware option!

Otherwise, what Brian said plus I think you might be down to the following:
1. Overheating GPU
2. Faulty GPU
3. Not enough power or faulty PSU.