Premiere Pro - Saving Audio Effects Settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 17th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Premiere Pro - Saving Audio Effects Settings

Hello,

This seems like such a basic function - but I can not figure out how to do it.

When I create an audio insert effect the the Premiere Pro audio mixer (an EQ for example) - how do I save / export / copy-paste - that effect setting to a different sequences.

If I create a complex EQ curve, I don't want to have to manually re-create it if I want to use an identical setting in other sequences.

I appreciate your help.

Angelo
Old February 17th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Premiere Pro - Saving Audio Effects Settings

Angelo, the answer is unfortunately you can't.

This is something that has given me a lot of trouble over past few years, and regardless of how many times I sent a feature request, it has not been rectified.

Even more bad news is that any changes you make in any VST plugin are not undoable.

I routinely move projects between computers with and without BlackMagic output card, and I have to copy the automation and audio mixer settings between various sequences. Not possible, have to use pen & paper to reenter the filter settings.

In CS3 you could at least create a new project with different settings, import the old project, and the new sequence settings were applied so at least this was something that you could do. In CS4 this feature was removed due to the fact that each sequence could have its own settings, which could not have been changed after they were set. I guess Adobe engineers did not realize that some people were actually using this certain quirk that Premiere had.

OK, enough of this rant. This is a major issue for me, and I hope it will be solved one day, but I'm not holding my breath any longer.
Old February 17th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Trustee

I guess I'm missing something, but can't you right-click in the effects control panel, that is, right click on the effect, and "save preset", name it, and find it in the presets effect panel? I just tried it with a third-party plugin (Floorfish) and it worked fine...and, although it's a vst plugin, I could change the perameters when opened in a different project.

Probably I'm not understanding the problem, 'cause I know this was just too easy, you guys know your stuff....but maybe it would do some of what you're looking for....

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; February 17th, 2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: revision for clarity
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you for your replies,

I am very frustrated to hear there is no way to save audio effect presets. However, Battle's response got me thinking - It sounds like this is a function of the VST plugin. Maybe I need to be using aftermarket VST plugins, which have the built in function of saving presets. Because it is apparent that the stock Premiere Pro VST audio plugins do not have the ability to save presets.

I use Pro Tools for my audio production, so I don't have any VST plugins loaded (Pro Tools uses RTAS and AU plugins). But I'll try downloading a aftermarket VST EQ, and see if that resolves the issue.

The truth is that it is very sad Adobe would not implement this basic feature in to their stock batch of plugins.

Thanks,
Angelo
Old February 18th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Update: I think my previous post was correct. I found a free (trial) set of 64bit VST audio plugins from this site: MeldaProduction MEqualizer, free audio effect . They are available for both mac and pc.

I installed the bundle, and they all appear in Premiere Pro CS5.5 - and work perfectly. And since there is the built in functionality of saving presets, (even though this feature is disabled in the trial version) - it appears as though I will be able to save + import presets in to other sequences. This will save so much time compared to "pen and paper" settings transfer method.

I tried a few older VST plugins I have (Ozone 3 for example) but I think CS5.5 requires 64bit VST plugins - and these did not show up in Premiere.

For 30 euros ($40) - I can upgrade this bundle to a full function license. Which I might do, because decent plugins are generally much more expensive - and I don't use cracked software.

Ironically, I have thousands of dollars invested in my Pro Tools / UAD "powered" plug-in collection. So it's funny that I am shopping for bargain priced VST plugins. The truth is that if I am doing serious audio production, I'll use Pro Tools and import the track in to Premiere. But for basic EQ shaping and light compression - it saves so much time to stay in Premiere. So I am happy to see that this functionality is returned with the use of aftermarket plugins.

Thanks to Battle Vaughan who gave me the idea to try aftermarket plugins! That seems to be the obvious solution. If anyone has any suggestions for any other good / free VST EQs, please let me know. I know there are some great free RTAS plugins for Pro Tools, but those of course wont work.

Thanks,
Angelo
Old February 19th, 2012, 12:23 AM   #6
Trustee

Here's what has me puzzled: although I am stuck in the plestocene era with CS4 32 bit, I can save a PPro effect (e.g., volume) in a lavishly keyframed setup, name it as a preset, save it and re-open it and apply it to an entirely different project, with all settings and keyframes intact. I can do the same with vst plugins. Has something changed in the save-preset function in CS5? Of course, Angelo, you're right that you would need 64 bit add-on plugins, but I see the same functionality with the effects that come with PPro....which is where we started, I think. The saved presets end up in their own bin, incidentally, look in the effects browser window for the presets folder....
Attached Images

Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #7
Major Player

I was not talking about presets for effects on a single clip.

I was talking about presets in audio mixer.

EDIT: Plus for some reason on my Mac CS5 I can't even choose from the basic presets of the mixer plugins. It always loads the default.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite