Premiere, Intensity and Looks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 24th, 2012, 02:57 AM   #1
Major Player

Premiere, Intensity and Looks

I'm trying to learn Premiere and I'm using the HDMI output of the intensity card for monitoring. However when I go into the MB Looks interface I am unable to use the eternal monitor option (from within Looks) because I cannot figure out how to make Premiere let go of the preview before opening Looks. In Sony Vegas I just disable the external monitor button before opening Looks. I've searched all of the Premiere preferences with no success. Any ideas?

Thanks, Marc
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Premiere, Intensity and Looks

Sequence > Sequence Settings > Playback Settings > Check "Disable Video output when in the background"
Dominik Krol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Dominik,

The only setting option I have though in the blackmagic playback settings is: "Turn off dropped frame warning". I'm using Premiere CS5.5.
Old February 24th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Just got this response from Red Giant support:

Hi Marc,

Sorry for the troubles. This is a known issue we are experiencing with Looks. It is being caused by a bug in the video card driver. Unfortunately this is out of our control at the moment as we are waiting for Black magic to resolve this issue. I am not sure of a workaround in Premiere. Perhaps you can try changing the external device in the playback settings.

I will attach this case to the bug notification list and you will be informed when an update to resolve this is available.
Old February 24th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

yes of course.. then your only option is to run the sequence as a non BM timeline, and only use external monitoring while in MB Looks.

But this must be a rather new issue. I remember being able to use the Intensity with MB Looks and not having to switch off the external monitoring.
Dominik Krol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #6
Major Player

Could there be a connection by BlackMagic's acquisition of Da Vinci?
(Just a thought...)
Old February 26th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #7
Regular Crew

No I tried reinstalling an older driver from BM and it did not help.. I also tried an older Magic Bullet version, still no help.. Maybe I remember wrong when I said that this has worked in the past. But Im pretty positive, since I used it in the same way Marc did, and I would have remembered if there were issues like this..

But most of the time I dont even use the Black Magic timeline, because it's so slow in playback.

Sometimes what I do is have two timeline sequences, one from BM and one regular. Then I put the regular sequence into the BM timeline while grading, and thereby able to switch between cutting and grading.
Dominik Krol is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite