Dual mono tracks to Stereo submix at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 21st, 2012, 10:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Dual mono tracks to Stereo submix

Hi guys,

I'm using PluralEyes, a program that syncs audio with video, and requires me to export a sequence into an XML. Unfortunately, XML takes all the stereo tracks I recorded with and makes them dual mono.

In the timeline, I have now double the audio tracks, and each of them are mono. I would like to revert this.

I found that I had to create a "stereo submix", but I have no idea how to take it from there. There's a lot I don't know about Premiere Pro, what do I do?

http://i.imgur.com/SWKv8.png
Peter Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 10:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Dual mono tracks to Stereo submix

Now, I don't know about PluralEyes and the XML stuff, and I don't know how PrPro sees your clips, but...

I shoot with an Canon XF100 and the video is a MXF format file. PrPro brings in the audio as two mono tracks.

I can right click on the clip and select Modify -> Audio... and I can interpret the audio from two mono tracks to one L-R stereo track.

Maybe you can do something similar?
David Trayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 12:13 AM   #3
Major Player

1. In Audio mixer pan your A1 track to -100 (left), and your A2 track to +100 (right)
2. At the bottom of each track in audio mixer there is a pull-down menu where this track is send after all the effects and sliders in mixer are applied. Choose your stereo submix track here.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 03:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Trayers View Post
I can right click on the clip and select Modify -> Audio... and I can interpret the audio from two mono tracks to one L-R stereo track.

Maybe you can do something similar?
I can't, all the options under "track format" are greyed out! Could it be because I have a segment of the clip in the sequence? I don't want to lose the sync though, so I can't get rid of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Walczak
1. In Audio mixer pan your A1 track to -100 (left), and your A2 track to +100 (right)
2. At the bottom of each track in audio mixer there is a pull-down menu where this track is send after all the effects and sliders in mixer are applied. Choose your stereo submix track here.
This works, thanks a bunch! But how to I add effects to the now stereo footage of certain scenes into the submix? Is it impossible to see the clips in it; I can only add effects to the entire track and all its footage?
Peter Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Major Player

You can add effects to the whole submix track in the mixer, to the separate tracks in the mixer as well, and you can also add them to separate clips in the timeline by selecting clip and applying the effect. You can copy any of added effects to another clip by selecting the applied effect(s), right clicking and choosing copy, or pressing ctrl/cmd + C, and then simply choosing the destination clip(s) and pressing ctrl/cmd + V.

Unfortunately, you can't apply stereo effects to mono clips, but most of them are duplicates anyway, so it should be not much of a problem.
Old April 7th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I've decided to just take the original stereo files, and drag them to the timeline to create new audio tracks directly underneath the mono ones, then delete the mono ones. Didn't think of that one before. Thanks for the help anyways guys.
Peter Malcolm is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite