DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Shadows & Highlights alternative? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/506431-shadows-highlights-alternative.html)

Rafael Lopes March 27th, 2012 01:13 PM

Shadows & Highlights alternative?

I´ve tried a bunch of different alternatives and so far I´m yet to discover an effect that allows me to achieve a better latitude balance than Shadows & Highlights. I do stills 99,9% of the time but I´ve been shooting more video lately and I´d like to be able to use this effect on video, but when I boost the shadows and clip the highlights with it I get horrible horrible grain. Is there any other effect that will allow me the same flexibility? I´ve tried curves, gamma, layers, balance, etc and no luck.

P.S - I´ve tested footage from the hacked GH1 and the NEX-5N.

Bart Walczak March 27th, 2012 02:36 PM

Re: Shadows & Highlights alternative?

There's only so much that you can do with 8-bit footage before the grain and posterization kick in. The best way would be to get the proper exposure in camera.

You can try duplicating the video layer, inverting the channels and setting it to overlay mode. It will have the effect of reducing contrast and bringing the shadows up and highlights down.

Lee Mullen March 28th, 2012 12:56 AM

[QUOTE=Bart Walczak;1723443
You can try duplicating the video layer, inverting the channels and setting it to overlay mode. It will have the effect of reducing contrast and bringing the shadows up and highlights down.[/QUOTE]

How do you duplicate and setting as an overlay?

Bart Walczak March 28th, 2012 03:34 AM

Copy the clip, paste it on another video layer on top, and in the effects window choose opacity->blending mode->overlay

Rafael Lopes March 28th, 2012 11:59 AM

Thanks, guys. I will give it a try.

Ann Bens March 28th, 2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bart Walczak (Post 1723443)
There's only so much that you can do with 8-bit footage before the grain and posterization kick in. The best way would be to get the proper exposure in camera.

You can try duplicating the video layer, inverting the channels and setting it to overlay mode. It will have the effect of reducing contrast and bringing the shadows up and highlights down.

How do you invert the channels?

Bart Walczak March 29th, 2012 04:19 AM

Find "invert" in your effects bin?

Ann Bens March 29th, 2012 09:28 AM

Yes i know of the Invert effect but it gives all the wrong colours for every channel and in overlay.

Bart Walczak March 30th, 2012 02:04 AM

You can also try luma curve that looks like \ (backslash) instead of normal / - it will invert the luminance only.