Shadows & Highlights alternative? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 27th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #1
Trustee

Shadows & Highlights alternative?

I´ve tried a bunch of different alternatives and so far I´m yet to discover an effect that allows me to achieve a better latitude balance than Shadows & Highlights. I do stills 99,9% of the time but I´ve been shooting more video lately and I´d like to be able to use this effect on video, but when I boost the shadows and clip the highlights with it I get horrible horrible grain. Is there any other effect that will allow me the same flexibility? I´ve tried curves, gamma, layers, balance, etc and no luck.

P.S - I´ve tested footage from the hacked GH1 and the NEX-5N.
Old March 27th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Shadows & Highlights alternative?

There's only so much that you can do with 8-bit footage before the grain and posterization kick in. The best way would be to get the proper exposure in camera.

You can try duplicating the video layer, inverting the channels and setting it to overlay mode. It will have the effect of reducing contrast and bringing the shadows up and highlights down.
Old March 28th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #3

[QUOTE=Bart Walczak;1723443
You can try duplicating the video layer, inverting the channels and setting it to overlay mode. It will have the effect of reducing contrast and bringing the shadows up and highlights down.[/QUOTE]

How do you duplicate and setting as an overlay?
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 03:34 AM   #4
Major Player

Copy the clip, paste it on another video layer on top, and in the effects window choose opacity->blending mode->overlay
Old March 28th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks, guys. I will give it a try.
Old March 28th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Walczak View Post
There's only so much that you can do with 8-bit footage before the grain and posterization kick in. The best way would be to get the proper exposure in camera.

You can try duplicating the video layer, inverting the channels and setting it to overlay mode. It will have the effect of reducing contrast and bringing the shadows up and highlights down.
How do you invert the channels?
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 04:19 AM   #7
Major Player

Find "invert" in your effects bin?
Old March 29th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #8
Major Player

Yes i know of the Invert effect but it gives all the wrong colours for every channel and in overlay.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 02:04 AM   #9
Major Player

You can also try luma curve that looks like \ (backslash) instead of normal / - it will invert the luminance only.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite