Is there any way to color correct using color temperature at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 7th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is there any way to color correct using color temperature

I have a multi camera setup, and one camera shot warmer than the other. For example, one is 5600K and the other is 3600K.

Instead of playing around with a three-way color corrector (which never seems to get the right results for me to just get a *warmer* image), is there a simple slider that increases the warmth of the picture as if I were white-balancing on a camera? Seems like it should be a no-brainer...
Peter Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Is there any way to color correct using color temperature

Peter,

I have already filled out a feature request with that content, a White Balance effect with a slider in K, similar to the white balance settings on the Canon XF300/305. The clips white balance info is contained in the metadata of the clip, so it should not be rocket science to modify the color temperature from say 5600 K to 6100 K by means of a slider and have the results reflected directly in the monitor. The huge benefit is that if you forgot to white balance with a warm card, it is extremely easy to add that in post.

Please fill out a feature request as well, the more people requesting this effect, the sooner it may be implemented.

Here is my original request:

Would it not be nice to be able to extract the WB settings in K from the metadata and be able in post to change it to what you should have done during the shoot.

Say your WB is set to 5600 K, you can extract that from the metadata and with the White Balance effect you can enter a desired setting of say 6100 K. During the shoot you can do that with the Canon XF series, but if you have forgotten to use a warm card instead of the white balance card, this would be a great effect to have. Or in the situation where you simple want a shot to be slightly cooler or warmer, this would be a great feature.

Interface similar to the scale slider and fully keyframeable. The program monitor should reflect changes in color temperature immediately. Simple, easy to understand, like using a set of Warm Cards after the shoot.

Retrieval of the color temperatures should not be difficult, see attachment.

It works both with AWB and manual for the XF series. If the camera does not record these data, the effect should be greyed out.

PS. I have called in reserve troops to support this request. See http://forums.adobe.com/message/4320392#4320392
Attached Thumbnails
Is there any way to color correct using color temperature-metadata.jpg  

Last edited by Harm Millaard; April 8th, 2012 at 02:15 AM.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 04:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Just discovered Magic Bullet Mojo's "Warmer" slider works pretty nicely, but I'm all for your feature request!
Old April 8th, 2012, 07:19 AM   #4
Trustee

Peter,

Thanks for that tip. While waiting for Adobe to honor this feature request, I just upgraded my MB Looks to MB Suite and that includes all 9 MB plugins, including Mojo. While not as simple as our suggested solution, it is nice to have a relatively simple solution like that.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #5
Inner Circle

There's a WB eyedropper in one of the color correcting tools -- I forget which -- and it works sort of OK. I find I have to apply it two or three times to get it perfect.

I believe Photoshop has the exact type of tool Harm is proposing, so I'm hoping it will be an easy add for the Premiere team.
Old April 8th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Well I've changed my mind a bit... even after Mojo, I'm just not happy enough with the adjustment.

Here is camera 1:
http://i.imgur.com/EFXDI.jpg

Camera 2 (the one I'm trying to modify)
http://i.imgur.com/ihTRx.jpg

By making the image "warmer" enough in Magic Bullet Mojo so that the skin tone looks decent, the blues turn into a magenta.
http://i.imgur.com/XBlSa.jpg

This is with the warming slider at about 60%. 15% is a happy medium but the skin tones that camera 1 has aren't remotely there.

Last edited by Peter Malcolm; April 9th, 2012 at 02:26 AM.
Old April 9th, 2012, 07:55 AM   #7
Major Player

If you look at the vectorscope there is no skintone at all in camera 2.
I think this is nearly impossible to correct.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite