looking to jump from vegas.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 18th, 2012, 03:44 AM   #1
Trustee

looking to jump from vegas....

i have 5.5 but have never installed anything but ps.

i've used vegas since ver 4, and have loved it, that is, until recently, and more relevantly, ver 11. with 11 i think scs has lost the plot, not only does it have a multitude of titlers, most of which can trigger a crash, it still uses vfw, so getting smooth playback even on a reasonably powerful pc is a hit and miss affair. vegas now seems headed for 'first on the block' with the latest gimmick (3d), and NO attention paid to outstanding, replicable bugs.

this is not a move i want to make, i've been extremely comfortable with my vegas workflow, and it's made me a great deal of money over the years - but i am no longer confident that it's upto the job, nor am i going to continue being a beta tester for every point release....

so i'm asking here what are the major failings with prem. especially looking at it from a vegas point of view?

i'm thinking if i do jump, i might buy into cs6, since one of the things that's put me off prem is its cluttered interface - which i read in 6 will be customizable.

most of my work is short-form doco and corporate. i own a number of vegas ofx plug ins; genarts, magic bullet, boris - can i transfer these across?

any advice, suggestions, etc., most welcome.
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:15 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: looking to jump from vegas....

I have 3 NLEs in my studio. Apple FCS2, Vegas 9E and CS5.5 Production Premium. Since getting CS5.5 (which is on my Mac Pro, installed alongside FCS2) I only use the other two for legacy projects (Vegas being on my i7 Windows 7 box). The learning curve is pretty easy (or at least it was for me) and it's streets ahead of both in terms of speed and features.

If you have the software why not just try it out???

P.S. Make sure you get it updated to 5.5.2.
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:31 AM   #3
Trustee

thanks andy,

i'm really holding back because i'm hoping the next point release of 11 fixes outstanding problems (HA!), and i'm not too taken with 5.5's interface, which i find cluttered - hence my holding out for 6.

having been an editor for over 40 years i have experience on nearly every nle made - not all of them were pleasant, most in fact were a nightmare, but vegas won out around ver 4 with its reliability and stability.

now, at 63 and still having clients knocking on the door, i want a peaceful life. vegas isn't giving me one, however i don't intend having a quick affair with 5.5 - i'm too old for a quick fling, so if i am to change my nle, it'll have to be a serious relationship ;-)

if, on the other hand, i do sneak out one night to play, i'll certainly update to 5.5.2 - thanks
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:59 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Leslie,

I did the switch to premiere after investing in Sony Vegas 11 and felt just like you.
I am just like you started with Vegas 4 all the way to 11.
What made me do the switch is how robust and reliable software premier is when compering to Sony Vegas.
when working with Sony veges my left hand will be always on the Ctrl s and waiting for the next crush.
By now, I am pretty fast with premier and I love it.
I have tried premiere in the past but was always frustrate with it since Sony Vegas is so EZ to understand.
I did the switch and have a peaceful life.
I was able to transfer neat video and plural eyes license to adobe with a small charge. from neat video 50% from plural eyes was less.
I really don't care for titles that much and if i really want to make nice titles there are so many presets to After Effect.
Premiere is great with color correction and with CS6 it is only going to get better.
check adobe TV and Lynda.com for a smooth transition.
All the best.
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:24 AM   #5
Trustee

yeah, i agree on that ctrl+s,
and as much as I love Vegas CS6 looks very promising, there are so many new and unique features,
thinking really hard :)
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #6
Major Player

If i may add here......

There's such a huge community of users and tutorials out there.
I second Lynda.com...

Pay for the first month, get your fill, and decide...
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I gave up on Vegas after 10... haha. I edited an entire video when i went to render it out it would not work at ALL told me i didnt have enough memory.... yeah i had 8gb... Made the switch to 5 then 5.5 never going back. once you learn the little tricks it becomes nice....that being said you do need a powerful computer. I have a pretty decent system and there's time i max it out easily
Tom Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite