Encore CS5.5 Crashing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Encore CS5.5 Crashing

Just recently I was trying to burn some DVDs and Encore kept trying to auto save in the middle of the operation, crashing (freezing) the program and ruining my disc.

Does anyone have a a fix for this? Thank you!
Blane Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Encore CS5.5 Crashing

AFAIK, there is no autosave function in Encore, and that makes me wonder if, perhaps, PPro is also open when the autosave is happening? Maybe you D/L'ed your project from PPro into Encore?

If PPro is doing the autosave and you have its project or media files on the same disk that Encore is trying to read from to write to the DVDs, you could be overloading the disk system. SATA disks --- I am assuming that you are working from a SATA disk and not an SSD or old IDE disk --- are not adept at simultaneous reads and writes. If your disk is getting close to full (say, over 80% used), problems get significantly worse.

f the problem goes away when PPro is closed, you've found the cause and a solution.

If that does not fix your problem, it would be helpful to hear something about your system set-up. Are you working on a laptop with a single hard drive for the OS, the apps, the media files, and the project files? Maybe you have a second disk or RAID 0 which holds all of your media and project files. Maybe you have a system with multiple hard-drives or raids. If the latter, try putting your Encore files on a disk different from the one(s) you use for media and PPro project files.

I gather you are using Encore to burn multiple copies of your DVD. Another random thought: have you tried making DVD files or an ISO image, and using those to burn your DVD copies? I know people have reported successfuly burning multiple copies from within Encore, but the one time I tried it --- which was admittedly was back in the CS4 days --- I got lock-ups and crashes. So, maybe you can try setting Encore to make a DVD file and diskcopy that to DVD from outside Encore, or burn to an ISO image and use a third party app to burn the copies from the ISO image. (There was a recent thread here on this with some suggestions for free burning utilities; do a search.)

Hope this helps.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Blane I would agree with Jay's recommendations about system setup. While not an expert on Encore, I have used it with no problem (as recently as yesterday). It might help in the future to make sure your system configuration is listed, maybe in the q or in your profile. When random but somewhat repeatable new crashes start happening, I always look first at my hardware. As Jay mentioned, laptops where folks are trying to do everything on one drive are often the most problematic.

Best of luck.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Jay, Al, thank you for the replies. I was working with PPro around that time as well, so it is possible that that application could have been open while I was burning.

I have heard of creating an image file, and then burning, but I have yet to try that. I think that I'll give that a shot.

As for my comp, I am running an I9 6 core processor with 24g or RAM. My system drive is a 10000 rpm velocaraptor, with 2 raid 0 drives consisting of 2 1tb drives each (I don't remember what kind of drives they are), and a GTX 580 to top it off.

I use my B raided drive to hold all of my media (video, photos, music), and I use the A raid for my project files. The thing is, when I am working on a project, I'll create a folder structure on my A drive, and then copy all the media that I use to that drive. So now my project media and scratch folders are on the same drive which, from what I understand as of late could be a bottle neck. Would it be better to just direct Adobe apps to my B drive for the media, while using the A drive for the rest of the file structure?

Thanks for the help guys!

Edit:
I just tried doing some work in Encore and a save box poped up, the progress bar didn't go anywhere and the program locked up. I uninstalled Encore, then reinstalled. I have the latest updates per the updater.

I started to work again in the program and it started to "encore not responding" once in a while.

System Drive Rebuild: Maybe it's time to rebuild the system drive, or even replace it with a SSD. What do you guys think?

Project Drive: The project that I am working on is 150g in size, with all media files included on that drive. As far as my experience goes, the file is super complex, with AE, EN, PP, scratch, and everything else in it. Could this be the problem? I'm almost done with this project, so maybe when I finish, I'll xfer the project onto long term storage and reformat the drive. Next project maybe I'll keep my media files on the B raid, and work with the rest of the files on the A raid. What say you?

Last edited by Blane Nelson; May 23rd, 2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:56 PM   #5
Major Player

"Project Drive: The project that I am working on is 150g in size, with all media files included on that drive. As far as my experience goes, the file is super complex, with AE, EN, PP, scratch, and everything else in it. Could this be the problem? I'm almost done with this project, so maybe when I finish, I'll xfer the project onto long term storage and reformat the drive. Next project maybe I'll keep my media files on the B raid, and work with the rest of the files on the A raid. What say you?"

Since Encore does not have autosave, the box is coming from something else Might be something with your links to AE if you used dynamic linking. If you D/Led from AE back into PPro, you might try a full render before D/l to Encore. Definitely make sure everything else is shut down before trying to burn a disk from within Encore.

I would definitely keep the media files on the "B raid" and the project files on the "A raid." That way, you are reading from the source drive (B-raid) while writing to project/scratch files (A-raid). With projects as complex as you have described, you may want to add a third media drive and put your Encore project there. Encore seems to have a lot of computing overhead when burning disks, so I would definitely burn to a DVD folder or ISO image. Unlike writing to a DVD, those writes should not crash if temporarily interrupted when being written. If you diskcopy or burn from an ISO, any dynamic linking will be off when you actually go to burn to a DVD.
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:07 AM   #6
Major Player

Jay - Encore does save your project when you hit build.
Old May 24th, 2012, 05:49 AM   #7
Regular Crew

What Bart just said: "Jay - Encore does save your project when you hit build." This is when I see the save box come up. I thought that it was just coincidence, but that makes sense. I'm not using D link to bring files over to Encore, and last night I know for sure that PP wasn't open, so that must be it. I wonder why the program stops responding, and nothing ever saves when that save box comes up?

Jay - While I was working with Encore last night, I did create a DVD Image, then chose to write from that DVD image from within Encore. It worked well. I will defiantly be using that work flow in the future.

Jay, you also mentioned a third raided drive. I am maxed out (6 drives: 1 system, 2x2 for raids, and DVD Blue-ray burner) on the mother board. I'm not sure how I could add another raid without a RAID card. This is the only way, and probably the right way, correct? Maybe I should be running all raided drives off of a RAID card?

All of the help has been great. Thank you all for the tips!
Old May 24th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #8
Major Player

Bart:
I have never seen an autosave box when hitting build. Also, I've always saved my products before hitting build, so maybe that is why I have never seen a "save" box when hitting "build" in Encore.

Blane:
You don't need a third raided drive. You only need a single, plain 7200rpm SATA drive. This will suffice for writing images of Encore files or for burning DVDs (as well as Photoshop files and the like.) You want the raids for when you have very large files like the 150GB of video media for your project (A RAID 0 does better job with maintaining throughput and suffers degradation less quickly as the drive fills up, but none of that is a concern with a DVD file.)

Since you can now write and burn images from Encore without a problem, I would say to consider an additional drive only if you want/need performance enhancements. To check out how well your system is functioning, have a look at the PPBM5 test program.
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Jay - I'll take a look at the PPBM5 test program.

Even if I wanted to plug in another drive I don't think that I could because I'm out of drive ports, unless there is a way to split them, but it doesn't seem like that would be a good idea.

Can we talk about basic setup with the two raided drives and one system drive?

If I keep all media on "B", and set up the file structure for a project on "A" keeping all project files on the "A" drive including DVD Img files, (no media of course), would this work, or should I be setting things up differently?

I suppose the file structure would look like this:

Drive A: Main Project File>Saves, PP, EN, PS, AE, DVD Art>disc art, case art,
Drive B: Media Files>Video, Photo, Music

Would this be optimized, or should it be different?

Once again, thank you Jay and everyone else!
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #10
Major Player

Okay, I just ran a test with Encore on my system. When I click "build" in Encore there is a momentary flash of something with a progress bar. It is on screen for a fraction of a second. If I had not been looking at it --- and I had to do this twice --- I would have only seen a flicker before the build started.. That has to be the "save" screen that Bart described. I would have missed it if I had not been looking for it. So, it is there.

That being where Blane's "build" was hanging, the problem had to be disk read-write conflict.
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blane Nelson View Post
Jay - I'll take a look at the PPBM5 test program.

Even if I wanted to plug in another drive I don't think that I could because I'm out of drive ports, unless there is a way to split them, but it doesn't seem like that would be a good idea.

Can we talk about basic setup with the two raided drives and one system drive?

If I keep all media on "B", and set up the file structure for a project on "A" keeping all project files on the "A" drive including DVD Img files, (no media of course), would this work, or should I be setting things up differently?

I suppose the file structure would look like this:

Drive A: Main Project File>Saves, PP, EN, PS, AE, DVD Art>disc art, case art,
Drive B: Media Files>Video, Photo, Music

Would this be optimized, or should it be different?

Once again, thank you Jay and everyone else!
Definitely better to have the media on one drive/raid and the project files on the other.

Is the media on your B drive specific to your project or do you have a lot of files on there that get accessed sometimes for some projects? Do you have an e-SATA port on your system? If so, you might consider an external drive and off-loading some media to it when your "B" raid starts to get full. Also, an e-Sata is fast enough that you could very well put your DVD project files and image there. Just some suggestions.
Old May 24th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Jay - I actually do have a 4tb Glyph Forte Raid external drive that does make use of e-sata. It came with an e-sata card that is installed, but for some reason it seems like the card was glitchy.

This is the mobo in the comp:
Newegg.com - ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

I just noticed that the motherboard has two more 3Gb/s connectors then I had originally remembered, so I could add 2 more 1tb drives to make another RAID 0.

This is the case that houses the computer: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan

Again, any suggestions would be great!
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #13
Major Player

Don't obsess about another RAID 0. I have worked with your model mobo and, frankly, I'm not sure if it will support three Raid 0s. Anyway, single disks will be fine for what you want to do. Less complicated to install, too. Basically plug and play.

Actually, the Glyph box would probably serve for writing your image files and burning the DVDs for the time being. I am assuming that that the Glyph thingie is in addition to the two on-board Raid 0s. If you've got it hooked to your e-Sata port, it is probably functioning as a SATA 1 drive. Even so, that will be sufficient for receiving image files and writing to DVD.

The mention of the Glyph box brings back a vague memory of a thread from last summer on system builds. Were you the guy who got bombarded with advice from Randall Leong, Bart and myself only to have Steve Kalle make your head spin? If so, it is good to see you took the advice about getting the HAF 932 case. At least you have good cooling in the system.

And that raises one other thing you might check. The I7-980x chips can run pretty hot. I suggest you fire up the ASUS AI Suite that isntalled with your mobo. Run the temperature monitoring utiity the next time you go to make a DVD from inside Encore. Encoding is processor intensive and, if your processor is spiking, you might get lock-ups. When my old I7-950 was starting to cook, one of the symptoms was getting lock-ups in Encore. In my case, they occurred about three or four minutes after I clicked on "build." When I ran the AI app, I found the CPU temps started climbing sky-high as the processor usage went up. Since your lock-ups were occurring immediately after your clicking "build," rather than building up, I would guess that over-temp is probably not your problem. It would still be a good thing to check.
Old May 24th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Jay - the build thread tha you are referencing sounds like it was mine. I received a tone of advice, but it was great advice, and I know that it helped me build a fairly solid system.

As for the processor, it is liquid cooled via this device:Newegg.com - CORSAIR H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler and it seems to do a good job, however I have never used the Asus AI suite, so I'll have to give that a shot and see how it is performing when doing a burn.

Edit: Here is a screen shot of the below encoding project about :40 into the encoding:
http://advblane.smugmug.com/Other/Mi...Untitled-M.jpg

I was using the Glyph as a backup drive only, but I had a project that I needed to encode, so I set the Glyph as the destination drive for the encoded video file. I am very surprised to see the Glyph drives busy receiving the encoded video files the whole time AME has been working. I didn't realize that there would be a continuous data stream to the destination folder. This makes me think much differently about how the drives are working when doing different operations regarding video work.

Jay, would you be so kind as to tell me a bit about your system and how you have it set up? I would love to hear about how you pros do it.

Thanks for all the help, man!

Last edited by Blane Nelson; May 24th, 2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old May 26th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #15
Major Player

Disk setup (separate from from system disk):

Media files = Raid 10 from PCIe-X card.

Project files and Media Cache = RAID 0 from ASUS mobo's on-board Intel controller

Transcodes, ISO files, etc.: either of two 1tB SATA 7200 rpm drives, used as destinations as needed. (I did have a second RAID 0 but one of its disks died as I was starting a big project. Got a new disk but decided to skip rebuilding that second raid and simply ran two separate disks. Seeing no noticeable difference in performance with my projects, I have just left them as separate disks. I do try to keep them less than 50% full by archiving files when projects get done.)

System back-ups, media-back-ups, stock footage, archived completed projects, parked inactive projects, etc. = various drives including a USB 3 and an e-SATA.
Jay West is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite