Gpu Issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 06:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Gpu Issue

Recently i was forced to re format my computer so i had to re-load everything. I re installed cs5.5 i just went to work on my first project since the re format and now im having all sorts of issues. The first issue was a Open GL error code. So i rebooted and the same code came up. But i kept doing re boots and what happens now when I first start the program i can play through the video just fine...but AS soon as i make a change i can no longer play back the video. What did was i took it out of GPU acceleration and just put it on the computer this seemed to fix the issue..but obviously when i go to do a more intense project its not going to work. Im not sure what to do my computer configuration as hardware hasn't changed.

The GPU is a GTX 570
Tom Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Gpu Issue

From having had a couple of reformat-reinstall instances with my previous workstation when running CS 5 and 5.5, I suspect a file corruption and/or a driver update issue. While I did not have your specific problem, I did run into both of these kinds of issues with my now-deceased previous workstation.

First, with the display problems, the first thing I would check is to be sure that I had the latest updates to PPro CS 5.5.2. Maybe you were running 5.5.0 until you get the display problem fixed? (I do not remember if CS 5.5 automatically updates on re-installation or not.) Also, on my previous workstation, I found that running "update" from within PPro could result in file corruptions but running it from Adobe Bridge avoided those problems.

Second, downloading can sometimes get subtle corruptions. You might want to try uninstalling PPro, downloading and running Adobe's clean-up tool, then reinstalling CS 5.5, and finally running update from Bridge.

Third, when you reformatted and reinstalled, how did you re-install your GTX 570 drivers? If you used the nVidia driver set from the install disk, have you tried downloading updated drivers the nVidia website? If you did that, and the latest driver causes the display problems, you might try selecting a not-so-new driver from the "legacy" section at nVidia.

I say this because I ran into nVidia driver issues with both PPro CS5 and 5.5 after both re-installations on my previous workstation. Both times, I found that: (a) PPro would not load when using the nVidia drivers from the GPU install disk; but (b) gave me display problems with the absolute latest driver. One of the not-so-new sets from nVidia's "Legacy" download subpage did work.

Sometimes, diagnosing and solving these problems seems like a black art.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Now im even more confused. I opened up a old file and made some adjustments just for the heck of it and it worked fine
Old June 22nd, 2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Major Player

This has to be frustrating.

Just so I understand, the older projects work fine and only the latest project is troublesome?

What happens when you import new media files into an old project? If that works, it tells you that the problem is with not your media files, at least.
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes that's correct. now I went back and opened a larger file and just moved stuff around randomly and everything worked ok..... so i went back to the file i was having an issue with and guess what every thing works fine now (I didn't change a thing) i just hope it works in 2 weeks when i get home in 2 weeks with most likely over 100gbs of video.
Old June 26th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #6
Major Player

Sounds like you might have run into one of those mysterious random or operating-system intermittent problems. The trouble with problems which go away by themselves is that you never know if or when they will recur by themselves.

For the last couple of weeks, I've run into a similarly mysterious now-you-see-it-now you-don't problem. A couple of weeks ago, I updated my nVidia drivers to version 301.32 while trying to fix a minor display issue with my MXO2-mini under CS6. (The new drivers did fix the display problem.) I've been working on a largish project -- a 6 camera multi-cam of a 3 hour dance show. I've been so busy with other work, that I've been working on the project in spurts, going into and out of that project three to five times in a day. (Open the project, edit a couple of dances, close the project, go work on some emergency, go back to the dance project, etc.) Four of those times, I opened the project to edit, everything loaded and looked normal. However, at the first edit -- even moving the cursor on the timeline --- PPro CS6 went to a white screen with the spinning ring thingie. Three out of the four times, I've been able to close out PPro, restart and go on with editing. This last time, CS6 would not re-load until I did a hard reboot and a system restore back before the problem started happening. The error was reported as a generic failure in the nVidia drivers. (Nothing about the Open GL module or anything that would have been helpful to me.) That the problem was fixed by rolling-back a Windows update, and has not recurred with further updates, suggests to me that there may have been a corruption in the update or an incompatibility with the new driver that is now fixed.

I'll add that I'm very picky about allowing updates but Windows somehow sneaks them past me every so often. (And for the folks who want to lecture me that the pure at heart never have their editing workstations hooked to the internet, I do not have that choice at the moment, so please skip the lecture.)

Having now reinstalled the supposedly critical updates and gone for a week without a lock-up, it is possible that the problem was a temporary one. And yours may have been, as well.

Another thing I check when I run into these things is the media cache and render files. Sometimes stuff lurks in there that goofs up projects. You may not have been far enough along with your project to have render files, but cleaning out the media cache often seems to help with these kinds of things.

Let us know how things work out.
Old June 26th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #7
Major Player

I spoke too soon. Just had another one of the lock-ups and PPro locked up again when I tried to re-open on the dance project.. I tried your technique of opening another, older project. Then, I clicked on "open recent project" and went back to the dance project. No problems. Seems like the older project re-set something. Sounds like a bug. I'll file a bug report when I get time. Meanwhile, we've got a work around.
Old July 14th, 2012, 09:27 AM   #8
Trustee

The most common OpenGL error and lockup is due to having photos in the project. The lockup can happen when opening a project or 3 hours after opening.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #9
Regular Crew

So what do you do when you need to have photos in your project?
Old July 14th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #10
Trustee

I don't know if it will help, but there is an Adobe file on this problem, as it relates to After Effects; might have some bearing on yours as well:

Troubleshoot OpenGL problems | After Effects CS4-CS5.5
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #11
Major Player

Steve:
There were no photos in any of my projects that locked up in CS6. On the other hand, I have not had a lock-up since the last one I reported here a couple of weeks ago.

Battle:
Thanks. Unfortunately, that link is for CS 4, 5 and 5.5 but not CS6. CS6 handles Open GL differently and the recommendations are said to not apply. Oh well.
Jay West is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite