capturing video from camcorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 28th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #1
Major Player

capturing video from camcorder

When I capture video from cam to Adobe premiere CS5 there is a large blank screen on the capture panel. This I presume is to show the clips being captured. However I can't find an option to show the capturing video on this screen and I have to view the small LCD screen on the cam corder in order to see the progress of the capture and to see where to stop recording. Is it possible to view the screen on the capture panel and if so where can I find this option. Unfortunately the expensive tutorials I have doesn't tell me. Thanks for any info.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: capturing video from camcorder

Are you using USB or Firewire to transfer?. I can see the previews with Firewire, but not with USB, but then I only tend to use USB as a straight data transfer rather than capture.
Old June 28th, 2012, 04:21 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm using Firewire to capture from Camcorder. I was told that my not using the Capture panel screen to view the capture it saves the PC from working to hard, but surely there must be a choice? I have no bother with Vegasand the PC handles the capture OK whilst viewing the capture panel screen.
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Major Player

since posting my query I have found where the options are for viewing the capture procedure and have ticked onto the relevant boxes but no joy . I can only hear the Audio but no image appears on the capture panel screen. Am I missing something?
Old June 28th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #5
Major Player

Can premier play it back?
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Major Player

Donald. Yes no problem. Everything is perfect except that I can't see what is being captured exccept via the LCD viewer on the camcorder.
Old June 28th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Major Player

Are you capturing DV or HDV, because there is no preview for HDV while capturing in CS5 and CS5.5
However there is a fix for CS5.5. CS6 has preview.
There should be preview for DV in all versions of Premiere.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I have been dealing with the same problem since I first starting using Premiere. At first I could preview DV either, but a newer more powerful pc solved that. I had assumed it was the same for HDV, that I just didn't have enough resources to view it. Once I got used to the idea though, watching via the lcd screen just became part of my workflow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Bens View Post
Are you capturing DV or HDV, because there is no preview for HDV while capturing in CS5 and CS5.5
However there is a fix for CS5.5. CS6 has preview.
There should be preview for DV in all versions of Premiere.
Anne, I still can't preview HDV on CS6. What do I need to change in order to preview it during capture?
Kevin Currie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #9
Major Player

ANN. In this instance I am capturing in DV. KEVIN. I had thoughts about the PC not being powerful enough although I have a Quad 4 processor. Then I thought again because when using Vegas 10, I can see the Capture panel screen images OK when capturing even HDV. Does this indicate that Adobe premiere needs a more powerful PC than Vegas.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite