Premiere Pro 5.5 gama shift and audio channels at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 17th, 2012, 08:41 AM   #1
Major Player

Premiere Pro 5.5 gama shift and audio channels

Two questions:
1) How to solve the gama change issue that happens with quicktime clips (h.264 from Canons DSLR and AVCHD from Panasonic GH2)? With Vegas there isn`t this (serious) problem.

2) If I record the audio in one channel only in a video clip, how to duplicate this audio to the other channel to edit with both channels?

Thanks
Ron German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Premiere Pro 5.5 gama shift and audio channels

The gamma change thing is a Quicktime for PC thing that is a well -known problem, if you open a Quicktime clip in PC quicktime, there will be a gamma change due to the way macs and pc's gammas are set. (Why they can't fix this in the PC version I don't know.) But the basic QT clip will expect to meet Mac standards, and has it's gamma set for that platform. Or so I have been told.

Short of making a gamma adjustment in post with, say, the curves function -- I'm not aware of an answer, hope someone has found one and will chime in.

The other problem is easy, select the clip in the project browser before you put it on the timeline. Select CLIP>
AUDIO OPTIONS >SOURCE CHANNEL MAPPINGS > MONO AS STEREO and then put the clip on your timeline.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #3
Major Player

Thank you Battle
As I said, the QT gamma change seems not happen with Vegas Pro, as tested and compared many times before (by me).
Old July 17th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Trustee

You might do a search within dvinfo.net, there have been a lot of threads on the Quicktime gamma topic over the years. I can't explain the difference in Vegas but it is very obvious in Quicktime for PC and programs I have used which reference it.....at any rate, hope the mono track info was of some help...
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #5
Major Player

Thank you again.
Yes, it was useful. And I found out another way to duplicate the audio from one channel to the other channel: to aplly Fill Right (channel) or Fill Left in audio effects.
Best
Old July 17th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #6
Trustee

Fill left or right only works if you have a stereo channel. If your audio is a stereo file and has one silent channel, this will work.

But if you have a mono file, the fill functions won't apply to the mono track. When you drop a mono clip on the timeline, it creates a mono track automatically. This is why the "mono as stereo" feature, it automatically converts a monaural recording to stereo and fills in both tracks.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite