DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Backup solutions? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/509539-backup-solutions.html)

Benjamin Maas July 24th, 2012 12:55 PM

Backup solutions?

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate forum to post this in, but I couldn't find a better one, so here goes...

I need to create a new backup solution for my audio and video computers.

I've got a Drobo, but my software has failed on me- I had a custom script designed that was really simple- It copied everything over from my audio and video drives (2 different computers) to the Drobo. There was a comparison done between the two and if something was missing from the audio/video drive, it moved the corresponding file on the Drobo to a "trash" folder where I could manually trash it.

This originally saved my butt when a drive crashed and the next sync moved everything to the trash folder whereas a traditional sync would have deleted the data.

Are there any commercial programs that I can set up to do a similar process? There are lots that will do a full drive image and lots that will sync, but I haven't seen much about sync with options to avoid data loss in a catastrophic event. We're talking multiple terabytes of data here - I could use some help. Thoughts?

--Ben

Zach Mull July 24th, 2012 01:12 PM

Re: Backup solutions?

I think Dantz Retrospect will do what you need. I haven't used it in quite a while, but you can set it up with scripts to determine your own rules for copying data. I'm sure it's not the only software that fits the bill, but it's at least worth investigating.

Eric Olson July 24th, 2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Maas (Post 1745192)
I need to create a new backup solution for my audio and video computers.

A multilevel incremental backup scheme allows one to restore files that were damaged or deleted years ago with year level accuracy, files from months ago with month level accuracy, files from weeks ago with week level accuracy and files which were damaged or lost in the last week with day level accuracy. The Unix dump command has performed this kind of backup since the 70's. Look for software that supports multiple backup levels modeled after the Unix dump command. In Windows and OS/X this is sometimes called time capsule style backup.

Jon Shohet July 25th, 2012 08:30 AM

You don't mention which OS you are using, but if it's Windows, I really love SyncBackPro. Been using it for several years and very satisfied. Doesn't necessarily have every single feature that you may be looking for, but very powerful and customizable, so it's definitely worth taking a look.

Benjamin Maas July 25th, 2012 11:00 AM

Appologies... I thought I had listed an OS.

Working with Windows 7-64 on all of my computers here.

--Ben