CS6 Premiere Pro choking on mundane stuff - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 29th, 2013, 02:03 AM   #46
Major Player

Re: CS6 Premiere Pro choking on mundane stuff

Exactly the same situation occurs with Canon Legria files, again the Canon transfer software solves the problem.

I believe that there can be problems with spanned clips if the metadata is not copied over with the .mts files, but again the proprietary transfer software does the job.

Over on the Adobe Premiere forum, the purists regularly argue vehemently against using the camera manufacturer's transfer software, but I cannot see there is any solid justification for their attitude.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Craven View Post
.., the purists regularly argue vehemently against using the camera manufacturer's transfer software, ....
Yes the purists amuse me at times. They will often complain its the manufacturers fault that something doesn't work or they cannot do something having totally failed to follow any of the manufacturers instructions or very often not even read the manual.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #48
Major Player

Well, I won't take the comment personally, but will make a small debate out of it to help us figure this issue out...While I don't think of myself as a "purist" I never remember, in two years of using an HMC150, that there was any software from Panny that actually stripped out the MTS files from the folder structure and renamed them, the way that Canon does in their XF Utility for MXF based files. (it's called Export to MXF). Is there software that ships to do this now with that model? Or with the C100? In fact I was thrilled to find that Canon MXF worked that way (as does Sony I believe). There is no warning from Premiere that those files (nor stripped MTS files) don't work, or cause a problem, nor is there any online material that I've seen that would say that. The fact that the stripped MTS seem to play just fine is an indicator that it's not the MTS file fault, but likely Adobe's way of mapping those to the project. If their tech support people are saying it when you call in, I would certainly like to know if it's true, or whether the one person I talked to didn't know what they were talking about. Having worked with tech support in the computer world, I know that they do learn things that the PR people may not want publicized.

This is important, because I am a person that has, as my business has grown, have needed to migrate files from one drive to another. While I try to keep things named properly, I have experienced every single editing suite choke on moving files from the original drive they were stored on. The dreaded linking in FCP 7.0, Vegas and Pr is solved by the software's ability to find the filename. In Vegas, they do a very elegent search that finds all known names of the same file, and displays all the known files with their folder structure, so if you do have a repeating named file, you can see which folder it's in and Vegas then asks if you want to find the rest you are looking for the same way. Adobe could do with looking at this for their method, which is far too manual and time consuming...

The OP of this was wondering why CS6 was choking on his AVCHD files, while he says he doesn't have the problem with CS5. So I don't think this is about whether folks are reading the ****in' manual, as we used to say. Would be good to see Adobe step up and clear up the issue. Maybe at NAB someone can ask them this. The booth guys usually are pretty good about leveling with you if you don't use their name (G).

All in good cheer...
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #49
Inner Circle

Sorry if anyone took my comments personally that was certainly not my intention at all. I am sure we all have had experiences of very vocal people who blame everyone but themselves for what is happening to them. Anyone who asks for help and then participates in a helpful way certainly is not in this category.

Although I have CS6 Production Suite I don't use Premier but mainly Edius and sometimes Vegas and those two will transfer correctly from the camera directly, however doing this looses the file renaming etc that is so useful for archiving. I still like to separate the transfer and archiving from the editing process. The equivalent of capturing from tape and then storing the tape.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 05:21 AM   #50
Major Player

Steve Wolla:

Tha fact that CS5.5 works and CS6 is an issue makes me wonder if you may need to update drivers on the display card?

That can have an effect...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite