DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Editing XDCAM EX footage in Premiere Pro CS6 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/510385-editing-xdcam-ex-footage-premiere-pro-cs6.html)

Anders Ravn September 2nd, 2012 02:29 AM

Editing XDCAM EX footage in Premiere Pro CS6

Hello dvinfo! This is my first post.

I must say that this seems like a place to stay to learn more about all the technical aspects of editing.

I'm a young editor, who has mostly edited Canon DSLR footage. Right now I'm the editor on a project shot on Sony's F3 camera. We have about 155 GB footage and sound. And the short film is going to be between 15 and 20 minutes. I'll be editing on a Windows 7 64bit system in Premiere Pro CS6. It is a fairly strong computer, with maximum ram and two high end nVidia cards. I've already spoken with some of the people at the company of whom we are borrowing the computer. But it is hard to get a clear and confident answer on how I should create the workflow for this film, as this is a new format that I have never worked with before.

Here is the file data from Mediainfo: http://i.imgur.com/ILXgl.png

My initial plan is to start synchronizing each scene in its own sequence in Premiere. But then I am in doubt if I will be able to edit natively, or if I should export to something, or if I should make an online/offline workflow. I don't know much about formats, codecs or workflows yet.

I'm very eager to learn about it, but it is a jungle to me, and too often do I get different advice from different people, and some times from the same people.

Thanks
Anders

Ryan Sarver September 2nd, 2012 11:15 AM

Re: Editing XDCAM EX footage in Premiere Pro CS6

There is no reason to render out to anything. CS6 is codec independent. There is no native codec per se. Sync everything up in its own sequence and use multicam to cut. Just bring it in and start working.

By the way, I own an F3 so I have used this workflow.

Pete Bauer September 2nd, 2012 04:15 PM

Hi Anders and welcome to DV Info Net.

I concur with Ryan; my editing box is now over two years old and I routinely do long-form multicam edits of 3-5 streams of HD footage, mostly Canon MXF files at 50Mb/sec, plus separate audio tracks. No problem.

You'll want to make sure GPU acceleration is enabled on your primary nVidia card, locate your source files on a fast RAID array, and go to the preferences dialog and point all the temp/preview files to another separate, fast drive besides your C drive. You'll be in good shape.

Putting each scene into its own sequence is actually a good work flow. Nesting sequences induces practically no additional workload on your computer; it is just a matter of how many video streams and how many non-GPU accelerated effects are actually processing at a given time. You can duplicate sequences and rename them where it makes sense, rather than starting from scratch with the "New Sequence..." dialog box and its settings, to reduce set up time.

Anders Ravn September 3rd, 2012 07:23 AM

Thanks guys for the answers. I've learned from them. I think I should be set.

You are both mentioning multicam editing. I've not used that before, but isn't it only for editing multiple camera sources? This is a shortfilm shot on one camera.

Pete Bauer September 3rd, 2012 09:58 AM

Yes, the multi-cam workflow is for multiple simultaneous camera angles, and is generally more demanding of a computer than editing one or two video tracks at a time for a narrative. It sounds like you should have smooth sailing.

Dennis Hingsberg September 3rd, 2012 10:37 PM

Hi, you will love editing XDCAM footage in Premiere from the F3... it is a breeze and some filters to clips can even play in real-time without rendering.

A good output codec I've had great results with is H.264 and you can use a preset such as Apple 720 or 1080 TV to set your output resolution and then your frame rate can be changed to suit your project. You can also set your target bitrate; either constant bit rate (CBR) or variable bit rate.

As for multi-cams, CS5 had a limit of 4 cameras max. I haven't tried it in my CS6 yet but its great if you can sync your camera angles then select between cameras.

Anyway best of luck, sounds like you're all set!

Anders Ravn September 4th, 2012 11:26 AM

Hmm I started editing now. When I've been editing for some time Premiere starts choking, and ends up using 100% of the RAM, and thats 190 GB of RAM. I'm only editing three files and have to sequences open. I don't get whats happening. The material is on a RAID array, and the cache files on an SSD.

Dennis Hingsberg September 4th, 2012 12:24 PM

Doesn't sound normal. I'm only using Q8400 Intel quad chip which isn't even i-series, with 4GB ram and I have 10 channels of video, some with nested sequences, with a 5 minute timeline, and effects, and it doesn't chug too badly.

I would do a test and move those files in your edit sequence to your local C: drive, then re-open your project file and re-link the clips from your edit to the files now located on C:, then see how it is performing. This will eliminate the issue being caused by your array.

Anders Ravn October 7th, 2012 01:32 PM

The issue was in some BlackMagic software, and it was fixed by an update.