DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   DVD Authoring Help, Video Doesn't Fit To Edges! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/511533-dvd-authoring-help-video-doesnt-fit-edges.html)

Corey Benoit October 19th, 2012 08:50 PM

DVD Authoring Help, Video Doesn't Fit To Edges!

I am exporting to encore cs6 via premiere pro cs6. Its a DSLR 1080p 23.98 timeline. Once i have built all my menus and export all goes well. Except one thing:

DVD is 720x480, however in order for the frame to line up horizontally it would need to be 720x405. Thats the equal proportion of 1920x1080.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: when i close my project and reopen encore cs6, the project is in tact just as i left it, except the timeline is empty, all assets still there though. Why is this??

Kevin Currie October 20th, 2012 12:15 AM

Re: DVD Authoring Help, Video Doesn't Fit To Edges!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey Benoit (Post 1759599)
I am exporting to encore cs6 via premiere pro cs6. Its a DSLR 1080p 23.98 timeline. Once i have built all my menus and export all goes well. Except one thing:

DVD is 720x480, however in order for the frame to line up horizontally it would need to be 720x405. Thats the equal proportion of 1920x1080.
Any suggestions?

The screen aspect ratios of HD and SD are different. The pixel aspect ratios are also different. Were you expecting them to look the same? If you don't want the black pillars, try nesting your HD timeline into an Widescreen SD timeline, then scale it so the width matches and there is no black. This mean you will trim some off of the top and bottom though.

Quote:

when i close my project and reopen encore cs6, the project is in tact just as i left it, except the timeline is empty, all assets still there though. Why is this??
When you say the timeline is empty, do you mean there is nothing to play in the monitor, or did the movie's timeline only closed and doesn't show up in the timeline panel?

Corey Benoit October 20th, 2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Currie (Post 1759607)
The screen aspect ratios of HD and SD are different. The pixel aspect ratios are also different. Were you expecting them to look the same? If you don't want the black pillars, try nesting your HD timeline into an Widescreen SD timeline, then scale it so the width matches and there is no black. This mean you will trim some off of the top and bottom though.

When you say the timeline is empty, do you mean there is nothing to play in the monitor, or did the movie's timeline only closed and doesn't show up in the timeline panel?

How do i do this? I just took the 720x480 sent it out to a MPEG file to play on my DVD player and it fills the screen like a DVD would, however that could be auto scaling and i am unsure if all tv's will do this.

So whats your recommendations for the best possible playback on DVD? I also am thinking about just going bluray as its quite easy i hear right? For now i am may start burning bluray to DVD discs because all my projects are less than 10 minutes in length. So at 15mbps that would fill a DVD in bluray format and retain full 1080p.

I mean that everything is there, except the timeline at the bottom, as soon as i open up premiere pro and open the project the timeline just shows up. Kinda weird.

Ann Bens October 20th, 2012 03:43 AM

In the export settings you will find Crop settings (left pain)
Set it to Scale to Fill, that will get rid of the black bars.
As said before HD is exactly 16:9 as DVD widescreen is not, hence the black bars.

Double click in the sequence in the project panel to get the timeline back (if i understand the issue correctly).

Corey Benoit October 22nd, 2012 09:44 PM

i finally got everything working! Thanks guys! the button fit to fill, allowed slight scaling to allow no bars!

One question tho, how come when i use FCPX and Compressor 4, i dont have to do that? It automatically takes the bars away.

Like in PPcs6 if i dont select "fit to fill" there will be bars on the left and right side on the widescreen tv.

In FCPX and Comp 4, i just select DVD and settings i want and export and its all done automatically. Isnt this weird?