Whats a good ssd to use with CS6? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old November 6th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Whats a good ssd to use with CS6?

It was said that there is a lag in performance playing from the timeline, are you saying that 200-250mb/s transfer rates is not fast enough for lag free performance in cs6? And whats the point of that sd dv export test you did? It just shows that your raid drives have a very fast transfer rate but what if you use avchd or dslr 1080p mov files and convert to a h264 file, does it really matter then if you use 10 raid drives or just one drive to export to? Do you get better playback on the timeline when playing highly compressed formats if you have a 10 drive raid?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #17
Trustee

The purpose of the test is for benchmarking disk I/O as cleanly as possible. Nothing more.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #18
Major Player

Harm, thanks very much for the detailed response. While I cannot afford at this time to try and build a machine like yours, I can budget for a couple more drives, and separate by function.

My G-Raids are attached using esata. Files I work with are AVCHD shot with Panasonic AG-AC160 and HMC150's.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 02:44 AM   #19
Trustee

Harm,

I notice from your screen shots that you are using Windows 8. I installed this a couple of weeks ago but un-installed it two days later, it was causing all sorts of problems with my other installations of Windows 7 (I run these on different hard drives and boot up into the OS that I need to work with). The problem was that each time I booted up into Win 7 after previously running Win 8, the CHKDSK routine would run on every hard drive and I presume re-index the drives, this would take approx 15-20 minutes.

Have you had any similar problems, or are you running Win 8 on your entire system? How is it working with CS6 etc. etc.
Old November 7th, 2012, 02:56 AM   #20
Inner Circle

It baffles me that you need a very fast raid setup just to get lag free performance with avchd in premiere, my 2 year old machine handles avchd without a issue and I have just one separate internal 7200rpm drive for video. Maybe you could test with placing the videofiles on a separate internal drive and see if you still see the problem?
Old November 7th, 2012, 03:05 AM   #21
Trustee

I only use Win8 on this new system and have never tried switching to Win7, so I have never experienced your CHKDSK problems.

I'm using CS6 Master Collection and have not had any problems. In fact my results on the Benchmark Results are till now the only Win8 results submitted.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 03:08 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
I run these on different hard drives and boot up into the OS that I need to work with
Same here, have a dualboot with win7 pro and win8 with both on separate drives with no issues so far. Only if I need to boot win7 takes quite long as after selecting win7 it reboots and goes directly into windows 7 but beside that I didn't see the CHKDSK thing either.
Old November 7th, 2012, 03:18 AM   #23
Trustee

Noa,

Thank you for that info. Do you have the OS Indexing turned On or Off. I suspect that this may be my problem . I am not sure if Win 8 uses a different indexing to Win 7, hence the Chkdsk on each boot up. For the time being I have un-installed Win 8 and have reverted back to 7
Old November 7th, 2012, 03:56 AM   #24
Inner Circle

How did you install? After I downloaded I burned the iso to a disc and then installed replacing my winxp version I had on my dualboot disc (I had winxppro and win7pro before) and I have not changed anything yet to this installation.
I bought win8 because it was cheap now and want to start testing all of my programs related to editing, first impression is quite confusing with the metro and classic desktop opening depending on what application you start but I have all winter to testdrive and see if I switch permanently..
Old November 7th, 2012, 04:20 AM   #25
Trustee

I just did an upgrade install over a copy of Win 7 - I didn't install the 64 bit version, I wanted to make sure everything was working OK first, so my Win 7 Pro drive stayed intact.

My initial thoughts on Win 8 were not very favorable, as you said "quite confusing with the metro and classic desktop opening depending on what application you start". I don't think Microsoft have given much thought to the end user experience. No doubt I will install it again at some future date, especially as I do a lot of screen shot tutorials and need to be seen to be using up-to-date industry standard applications and OS.
Old November 7th, 2012, 04:50 AM   #26
Trustee

Just for info.

I have just done a search on a dual boot Win 8 & Win 7 and found this item

Windows 8 is designed to close and reopen by faster booting (Hybrid Boot), it has left your system in a hibernated state, with the drives mounted, open and ready to take off as soon as Windows 8 restarts. When a drive is mounted, a little piece of data is written to a standard place on the disk to show it is in use - it is called the "dirty bit"
This means that the "dirty bit" on the disks that Windows 7 checks on startup is showing on the disks. And then, chkdsk is automatically run to check the integrity of the disks with the "dirty bit" set. Please check the following settings.

1. Control Panel -> Power Plan
2. Select "Choose what the power button does" on left hand side.
3. Click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable".
4. Uncheck "Turn on fast startup" under shutdown settings.
Old November 9th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #27
Trustee

Just re-installed Win 8 Pro and applied the steps in my previous post, problem solved :-)

OK, so after a few tests, it does boot up faster, especially with an SSD disk, but other than that I have to agree there is no other performance gain.
Old November 10th, 2012, 02:43 AM   #28
Major Player

Vincent, are you the photo-i Vincent Oliver? Does not sound like a common name so I am guessing yes. It's a stand out website if you are him. (or if you are not him for that matter).

[EDIT] Just checked your profile and seen you are the same Vincent. I have also discovered that photo-i has become photo-i and video-i which is my bad as you'll now tell me that change happened way back. Looks like I need to visit more often.
Old November 10th, 2012, 03:56 AM   #29
Trustee

I am indeed one and the same. photo-i is in the process of being updated with two new sections - INSTANT photographer and INSTANT moviemaker. These sections will be aimed at all levels of expertise, although mainly at the advanced user. They will be underway as soon as we agree on a sponsorship deal.
Old November 11th, 2012, 01:57 AM   #30
Major Player

Thanks for the heads up. Perhaps you'll post something in the Open DV Discussion forum when it is all up and running.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite