Warp Stabilizer not working right at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 10th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Major Player

Warp Stabilizer not working right

Warp Stabilizer: Please: What's happening here? Not working................

Upgraded to Premiere Pro CS 6 (as I don't have After Effects) specifically in order to stabilize video. Thus far, from my experience, it produces a clip which is much worse than the original after being subject to the analyzing/stabilizing processes!

How is that possible? It baffles me! Go figure. Hence this post.

Camcorder is Canon A1s or A1. Format is HDV/.m2t. Rolling shutter issue?

The preliminary analyzing process equal to or even slower than rendering. A 5.5 minute clip takes hours! CS 6 is slow compared to CS 5.5 to begin with.

I record services in a house of worship. The clip I'll use as an example is one I shot recently of a lady kneeling down and praying. I tried every improved setting that I could think of such as no motion, advanced detailed analysis and the like in addition to the default settings.

Shot composition: Subject zoomed in on fairly tight with part of a grand piano in the background.

Since I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist & my tripod shot somehow moved a slight bit up and down while shooting which created this issue, I wanted to make the movement so it was not so noticeable. It wasn't extreme, just obvious to my trained eye.

After things were "stabilized/corrected, here was the result:

The foreground/main object is ok, however anything around or behind that looks like it's footage shot handheld from a rolling deck, on very tumultuous ocean which defeats the purpose. I thought subspace warp was 3d?

Any suggestions? Is Warp not up to this basic and simple task? Workable alternatives?

I wish I could down load the clip so everyone could see the before and after.

Upload would be sizable.

Anyone willing to help me make this work? Image stabilization/correction is a key skill I need going forward. Suggestions please.

Thanks in advance.
Bruce Pelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Warp Stabilizer not working right

Warp takes some tweaking and experimenting to find the right settings for each situation. Take a look at the help files to assist you in choosing the right combination of settings.

Some help here: Warp Stabilizer - Lesson

and in the CS6 help files which you can download at adobe.com (just go to help in your ppro window)

About the slowness, this may have to do with the length of the clip, the complexity of the problem and /or how fast your computer is. (I am not sure if this a GPU-processable effect, but if it is you need the proper nVidia card for hardware rendering, which is much faster than the un-aided software rendering.)

I have 3rd generation CPU and an nVidia 680M card in my editing laptop, and the warp stabilization I have done has gone pretty quickly, so I am confident with the right circumstances it works pretty well.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Bruce,
"The foreground/main object is ok, however anything around or behind..."
Do you have any parallax in the actual shot? If so, and your main subject is now solid and stable, there's nothing much you can do because the background is actually changing during the shot (you might make the stabilization gentler so it's less noticeable?).
Gregory Gesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi,

The entire background consists of part of a grand piano that is absolutely still.

There are no moving objects to my knowledge.

How can I upload an clip for comment, review and analysis?

Thanks.
Old December 10th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #5
Major Player

I experimented with all sorts of combinations off settings.

The situation I'm up against is quite common to my experience as I always shoot with the same tripods at the same location in a very tranquil and low key setting.

Perhaps if we could jointly solve one of these examples I could apply it going forward as a template.
Old December 10th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #6
Major Player

easy, put it up on vimeo for us to see. duplicate the clip on your timeline, have the first one stay unaltered, and the second one with warp.

like others have said, if you have two objects, one in foreground one in background, moving independently of each other, only one can be stabilized.

you might be assuming that this is a magic button to fix your issue, but it won't be able to alter the laws of physics.

and heres a short clip comparing several settings:

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite