Denoise before or after color correction/grading? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 10th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Denoise before or after color correction/grading?

Hi everybody,

I'm using the Magic Bullet Denoiser in AE, and I'm getting mixed results. Usually, it really helps clean the image, but sometimes, after heavier grading, the noise just pops out again, with maybe even more grain.

So I was wondering, should I apply the Denoiser filter after I'm finished with color grading, or, first apply the filter, then grade?

Thanks,
Mladen
Mladen Ilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Denoise before or after color correction/grading?

Last step. After all color correction and grading. Seems to work best for me. YMMV.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:12 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tip!
Mladen Ilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #4
Major Player

Mladen it's not that simple. In some instances it's better to do the denoising prior to grading and in some cases it's better to do it after.

Reasons to do it before grading:
- it's easier to pull good keys on a denoised footage when grading
- it's easier to pull good qualifiers when grading
- the postproduction process doesn't allow it to be done after grading for whatever reason
- you want to do something special to preserve IQ like removing noise then adding 2 dithered bits to the footage to smooth out any possible banding issues that might occur when grading
- etc.

But all in all I find it that it's better to do it after grading. One of the reasons is the one that you mentioned. I don't want to denoise twice instead of only once. But other people swear on doing it before grading. I guess that a denoised picture will fall apart later compared to a noisy image - but I wonder how this would be "healed" with denoising after grading.
Sanjin Svajger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite