Is this a feature, a shortcut, or a bug? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 16th, 2013, 07:05 AM   #1
Trustee

Is this a feature, a shortcut, or a bug?

Hi everyone,

I'm getting some strange behavior and I'm wondering if it is a shortcut I have I have carelessly set up or it is in fact a bug?

The behavior occurs when I add a a default transition to the start of a clip (ctrl + D on my keyboard shortcuts), then immediately hit spacebar to preview it. Instead of playing the clip from the playhead, which is snapped to the start of the clip I am adding the transition to, it will move the playhead to the beginning of the sequence and play it from there.

I currently have the home button set as the shortcut to go to the beginning of the sequence, so there is no way I am accidentally hitting that button. If I put the playhead anywhere other than on the start of a clip, and hit the same key combination (ctrl + D, then space) it behaves exactly as it should - ignores the Ctrl + D command, as there is nowhere to put a transition, then plays from the current playhead position. This also happens regardless of where my in and out points are set on the timeline, so it is not me unknowingly hitting the "Play in to out" shortcut (shift + \ on my layout, or shift + spacebar for pre/post roll)

Is anybody else able to replicate this behavior? And is this supposed to work this way, or is it a bug? Is there an assignable shortcut for a something like "Play from beginning of sequence"? I couldn't find any such options in the keyboard layout preferences. Or is it a design feature, where any time you add a default transition Premiere assumes you now want to preview your entire clip from right back at the beginning?

I am using Premiere Pro CS6 (6.0.1).

Thanks in advance for any help.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Is this a feature, a shortcut, or a bug?

Update to Premiere 6.0.3.
If that does not help, trash preferences and Media Cash Database.
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #3
Trustee

Edit > preferences > general, uncheck the box for "play work area after rendering previews"
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks Vaughan, I'll try that.

Is this something you've experience before and did this solve it for you?
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Trustee

From your description, it sounds like PPro is doing what is normal when that particular option (play work area) is selected. If you don't want it to do that, deselect the preference.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #6
Major Player

I'd agree that it sounds like 'Enter' key behavior...but it would return to the beginning of the work area (or, if you hide the work area like I do, a sequence in point)...not necessarily the beginning of the sequence as such...

Variations on this sort of thing have popped up when applying transitions to clips that have a different framerate than the edit sequence. What's the relationship between the edit sequence settings and the clip properties?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite