spinning credits at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 27th, 2013, 04:24 AM   #1
Major Player

spinning credits

Hi All. I want to create a spinning credit on a video with Adobe premiere pro CS5. Once I open the FX control panel I have no idea what the jargon means. I have made a few attempts but the results are not very good. I have searched Adobe help, I have searched YouTube and the internet for any tutorials with no luck. I have just bought the manual "classroom in a book" and can't find any reference to the subject. I would be grateful if any knowledgable expert out there could tell how to achieve this FX in a simple step by step guide or point me to a tutorial on youtube that I can follow. Thanks in anticipation.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: spinning credits

If you have no idea what all that jargon means you better start here:
http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-premiere-pro-cs5/
http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-premiere-pro-cs6/

What does a spinning credit exactly do?
Old January 27th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Major Player

[QUOTE=Ann Bens;1775596]
http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-premiere-pro-cs5/
http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-premiere-pro-cs6/

I have looked at all these items and they do not tell me what I want to know. After a lot of experimenting I have got the result I want. The opening credits are now spinning around and finally coming to rest in the way I want, although slower than I really want. I can't get the spin any faster.
Old January 27th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #4
Major Player

That is really a job for AE where you add motion blur which Premiere does not have.
Old January 27th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #5
Trustee

Ann is right, AE has lots more controls. If you want the image to rotate about its vertical axis, that's a job for AE. If you want it to whirl around (like the sample attached) it's pretty easy and you can do it in PPro effects.

Select the clip on the timeline, open effects, select scale to make image fit within the frame, if necessary.
Select rotation, click on the clock icon to set your first keyframe, move time selector to where you want the effect to end and move the roatation amount to however many rotations you want in that time. It will spin as fast--within reason--as you like in the time you give it. See attached jpeg and mpeg sample.

{edit} I completely forgot about video effect >transform>camera view, which does easily do the vertical spin (longitude) or on horizontal axis (latitude) or does the whirl thing (roll) even more easily than the above. It's in CS6, I don't know if it appears in other versions.
Attached Thumbnails
spinning credits-capture.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mpg dac dv test 01.avi_1.mpg (726.0 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; January 27th, 2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: addendum
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 04:11 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan View Post
Select the clip on the timeline, open effects, select scale to make image fit within the frame, if necessary.
Select rotation, click on the clock icon to set your first keyframe, move time selector to where you want the effect to end and move the roatation amount to however many rotations you want in that time. It will spin as fast--within reason--as you like in the time you give it. See attached jpeg and mpeg sample.
Thank you battle for a very enlightening input. However my problem is knowing where to type in to move the rotation amount. There are so many panels on show I simply don't know the correct one to alter to get a fast spin speed. A diagram pointing to the panel would be helpful. Thanks

I SEEM TO HAVE WORKED OUT HOW TO ALTER THE ROTATION SPEED. I HAVE NOW CREATED A TEXT CLIP WHICH ZOOMS FROM NOTHING TO FULL SIZE REQUIRED WHILST ROTATING I WOULD STILL LIKE TO INCREASE THE SPEED SO THAT THE TEXT IS UNREADABLE WHILST ROTATING. i WOULD STILL LIKE YOU TO POINT TO THE PANEL AS REQUESTED ABOVE JUST FOR ME TO BE SURE I'VE DONE IT CORRECTLY. WHAT IS THE HIGHEST NUMBER I CAN TYPE IN TO MAKE A FAST SPEED.? I GET TO A CERTAIN SPEED AND IT DOESN'T INCREASE ANYMORE. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP.

Last edited by Roy Alexander; January 28th, 2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: ADDED TO MESSAGE
Old January 28th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #7
Trustee

OK -- afaik you can type in any number of rotations, any degree of rotation,or any number of rotations plus a number of degrees in addition --- to, say, make the page end up at at 45 degree angle when it comes to rest. See the attached jpeg.

The rate of rotation is simply the duration of the rotations times the number of rotations ---- if you type in 20 rotations and your beginning and ending keyframes are one second apart (see jpeg) you get twenty rotations per second. If your keyframes are two seconds apart you would get ten rotations per second. If the keyframes are a half-second apart you would get an effective rate of 40 rotations per second, over a half-second duration.

PS: the video clip above is not the quality you should get, I arbitrarily sent it as NTSC mpeg2, which caused interlace combing. If you are working in wmv or mov this should look much smoother.
Attached Thumbnails
spinning credits-capture2.jpg  
Old January 28th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #8
Major Player

-I WOULD STILL LIKE TO INCREASE THE SPEED SO THAT THE TEXT IS UNREADABLE WHILST ROTATING-

You wont get that in Premiere. You need motion blur for that.
Old January 28th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Battle for the info. However Ann is right, using Premiere Pro 5 I can't increase the speed above a certain amount of rotations. I think the max number is 90 clockwise and 90 anti clockwise.
Old January 28th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #10
Trustee

Maybe could fake the blur thing with adding directional blur to the image, and fading it out as the image starts to come to rest....
Old January 28th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Alexander View Post
Thanks Battle for the info. However Ann is right, using Premiere Pro 5 I can't increase the speed above a certain amount of rotations. I think the max number is 90 clockwise and 90 anti clockwise.
If you realllllllly need more than 90 turns, just do 90 turns, then copy the 90 turn clip and paste it behind the first one.......ad infinitum....
Old January 28th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #12
Major Player

The more rotations you put in the less you will see of it actual turning.
Old January 29th, 2013, 03:06 AM   #13
Major Player

ANN. BATTLE. Thanks for all your inputs. I think I will just stick to 90 rotations. As I have included a Zoom to the rotations, It looks alright.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite