Issues syncing clips with different PAR, PPCS6 and PluralEyes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 1st, 2013, 04:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Issues syncing clips with different PAR, PPCS6 and PluralEyes

I’m using PP CS6 on Mac and I’m trying to sync clips from my Nikon D4 and Sony Z1 HDV camera. I’m in PAL country (Sweden) so I shoot 25fps. The Nikon files are 1,920 x 1,080i and the HDV files are 1,440 x 1080i but CS6 doesn’t seem to have a problem with the different PAR’s.

My workflow is as follows:

After capturing the files I start a new project without any preset, import the files, pick one file and create a sequence based on one of the files (Nikon or Sony file). One “type” goes to videotrack 1 and the “other type” goes to videotrack 2. I then export then export to PluralEyes. In pluralEyes the files sync perfectly but when reexported to CS6 the files are some 0.4 to 0.5 second out of sync.

I’m confused and can’t figure out what causes the problem (going out of sync when reexported). The clips are all the same framerate and the audio is 48kHz and the clips seem to be in sync on the PluralEyes timeline (the audio is in sync when played back, the vidoe stutters but going frame-by-frame the video is in sync) and as sync is based on audio I wouldn’t expect the different PAR to mess things up.

Some additional information: The Nikon files have been imported directly from the card to the computer as mov-files. I’ve tried various capture methods for the HDV-files and I get different results/reports from PluralEyes depending on the method used. If captured through iMovie the PAR by iMovie and Finder is reported as 1,920 x 1,080. By CS6 the files are correctly reported/interpreted as 25 fps, 1,440 x 1,080. By PluralEyes the HDV-files captured through iMovie is reported/interpreted as 29.97fps! but if captured through CS6 (as mpeg) as 25fps. If I start PluralEyes as a stand-alone application and import the files directly I get an error message on the second “type” (i.e. if I start with Nikon, the error comes up with the Sony file and the other way around) stating something like “inappropriate video attributes” (I’m not at home and don’t remember the exact wording).

Any input/help is highly appreciated. Is it that simple that I’m out of luck due to the fact the clips have different PAR?

Regards

Hans

Last edited by Hans van Turnhout; February 1st, 2013 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Spelling errors.
Hans van Turnhout is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite