DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Are Adobe dropping support for CUDA in favour of OpenCL? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/514218-adobe-dropping-support-cuda-favour-opencl.html)

David Dwyer February 10th, 2013 08:07 AM

Are Adobe dropping support for CUDA in favour of OpenCL?

So I'm looking to upgrade my GPU in my laptop and come across more and more reports that Adobe will drop support of CUDA because of its closed source and move to the open source of OpenCL/GL

OpenCL and Premiere Pro CS6 Premiere Pro work area

Adobe accelerates CS6 with OpenCL | SemiAccurate

Adobe Community: FAQ: What features use the GPU and how do I troubleshoot GPU issues?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4358892 - Nail in the coffin for CUDA?

With this in mind AMD Radeon benchmarks of the OpenCL put the Nvidia cards to shame.

At the moment I have a Quadro K3000m and can't afford the K5000k - ATI Radeon cards are much cheap and seem to perform better in the OpenCL/GL tasks.

Peter Manojlovic February 10th, 2013 10:51 AM

Re: Are Adobe dropping support for CUDA in favour of OpenCL?

I read about the OpenCL over a year ago, and it was still in the infancy stages. Until you could get it up and running, you had NVidia already at the gates..It would have been a mistake to assume that OpenCL wouldn' catch up in regards to support...

David Dwyer February 10th, 2013 11:14 AM

Reading in the CS6.5 Update this year it will go official? Anyone else confirm this?

Harm Millaard February 10th, 2013 01:20 PM

Where did you read about CS6.5? Just curious as I haven't heard anything about it.

Trevor Dennis February 10th, 2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harm Millaard (Post 1778358)
Where did you read about CS6.5? Just curious as I haven't heard anything about it.

The only info I can find appears to be speculative blogging. Note this first posted more than a year ago!

When Is Adobe CS7 – and CS6.5 – Coming Out? | ProDesignTools

I am starting to wonder if it might indeed be better to go with the Creative Cloud option. As per the Clay Asbury article from last November:

Adobe Creative Cloud for Video Professionals at DV Info Net

Andrew Stone February 10th, 2013 02:25 PM

I just read through the Adobe forum link that was posted. It appears to me like the original poster has misinterpreted what the Adobe people are saying.

Adobe have struggled to get OpenCL working on PremierePro and they have it working... kind of. NVIDIA Cuda based cards work and work well. They have no intention of moving away from CUDA on Windows. Stated outright and OpenCL is still a work in progress.

Please make sure of your facts when you are posting something that could and will have a serious financial impact on editors. We've already been down this road with FCP.

David Dwyer February 10th, 2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harm Millaard (Post 1778358)

Just one of the reports from another forum, can't find the link.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Stone (Post 1778364)
Please make sure of your facts when you are posting something that could and will have a serious financial impact on editors. We've already been down this road with FCP.

This is a discussion forum on the internet, rumors get posted. I am NOT stating this as FACT!

This thread is has a question mark over it and thus asking the question.

Tim Kolb February 16th, 2013 01:25 PM

I think the fact that there are still effects that are supported under CUDA but not under OpenCL is just one indicator of how this stands... The entire reason they pushed OpenCL support was to help Mac users who didn't have a choice...hence the very limited support for Open CL cards from ATI/AMD now.

The Semi Accurate article noted in the thread is so appropriately named as to be comical...although maybe even calling it "semi-accurate" is not correct.

PPro CS6 is not OpenCL "based"...the GPU acceleration is coded for CUDA...and as of CS6, it also supports exactly 2 ATI models running OpenCL.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, when Adobe was looking at GPU acceleration, OpenCL simply wasn't a viable option.

As for what brand runs OpenGL better...SpeedGrade still recommends NVIDIA Quadro for their VERY OpenGL dependent application...so it would seem to be a bit of an open question.