Asking for a friend Premiere Pro CS6 problem. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 25th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Asking for a friend Premiere Pro CS6 problem.

I have tried to help her but for the LIFE of me I am stumped (but I am new to CS6 just upgraded). Here is her question C&P'ed from an Adobe forum:

I'm a new user, but from what I understand I am doing this correctly, I had a friend come over who is familiar with the program and she couldn't figure it out.

I am trying to insert a series(about 10) jpg images from my d800 camera into my timeline. that works fine. I have tried this full size, fit to frame, and I have manually resized, I have also tried a tiff file just to see. Once the jpg is in the timeline, it shows up black in the project window.

I rendered it to see what would happen, and htey were there, but it's really frustrating not having them there now while I"m trying to put the movie together to see if they fit.

Also, I just tried to adjust the brightness through effects on a video clip, and then after doing that the video clip plays mostly black with a bit of strobing.

Does anyone know what is going on? I"m super frustrated and would appreciate any guidance available.

Any advice??
Kelsey Emuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Asking for a friend Premiere Pro CS6 problem.

What sort of configuration is the computer? This sounds like it could be a display card or display card driver being a bit finnicky...if the system is also limited on RAM, redrawing the JPEGs may be more work than the computer can do since the scaling on the stills is probably intense.

I wonder how it would work if you loaded the images into Photoshop and decrease their size (I assume they're quite large).
Old February 26th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Major Player

Not sure...but what you are saying makes sense. I once had a video card issue and it only affected my project window! Will pass it on! Thanks!
Old February 26th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #4
Major Player

You say you're new to CS6, did you update after you installed it? The versions on the Adobe website and on discs are older. I can bring full size D800 jpeg, png or photoshop files into the timeline and they all appear in the project window.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Probably not the cause in this case, but make sure the .jpegs use RGB color, CYMK will show up black in Premiere.

Also, if the stills are super-huge, try scaling them down before import, such as 1920x1080 for HD.

As suggested, make sure CS6 is up to date, for PC will be 6.0.3 and 6.0.2 for Mac.

Thanks
Old February 26th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Adam View Post
You say you're new to CS6, did you update after you installed it? The versions on the Adobe website and on discs are older. I can bring full size D800 jpeg, png or photoshop files into the timeline and they all appear in the project window.
I'm not the one having the problem...a friend is. I mentioned being new to 6 because due to my newness (I have only used CS3) I can't seem to help her??
Old February 26th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #7
Major Player

+1 for what Jeff says. Full res stills can put a strain on PP IME. I tend to resize to about 120% of the frame size, because that makes sure I don't try to pan & scan to far and too fast because that does not look nice. And it also limits the strain on system resources.

I didn't know about the thing with CMYK, but agree colour space is important. A wee bit off topic, but I used to moan about the competition secretary at our camera club, because I was convinced he'd buggered up the projector/laptop calibration, and my pictures used to look flat and under saturated. Turns out I had been submitting my pictures in Adobe RGB, when the spec clearly asks for sRGB. Once I'd got onside with that, my pictures looked the same at the camera club as they do on my computer monitor.

Last edited by Trevor Dennis; February 27th, 2013 at 01:16 AM. Reason: typo
Trevor Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey Emuss View Post
I'm not the one having the problem...a friend is. I mentioned being new to 6 because due to my newness (I have only used CS3) I can't seem to help her??
I just tried dropping an AI file in CMYK into the timeline and it appears as a preview in the project window and on the preview screen. All RGB files except RAW appear regardless of size on my version. Until your friend confirms being on the latest version she may be spinning her wheels.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks everyone...she is going to upgrade the video card and see what happens!
Kelsey Emuss is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite