Media Cache Files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 17th, 2013, 05:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Media Cache Files

Is there any way of moving these during a project? This is the first time I've used Premiere for anything long enough for it to be an issue and I didn't realise that they defaulted to the c drive. So can I move them during a project and if not, how can I set up Premiere to put them where I want them in future?

ETA: I'm on 5.5 if that's relevant.
Joe Piechura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Media Cache Files

One of the options is to specify the default location of these files - I keep mine in the project folder - it's up to you really.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Trustee

Edit > preferences >media and browse to new location. IIRC when I did this once and there were cache files present ppro asked if I wanted to move those files to the new location.

If I am not mistaken these files are used by the other Adobe apps that link to premiere, so you are changing the default for them as well.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Major Player

You are correct, Battle, all the Adobe programs related to Premiere use a common location for the cache - move it for one and it moves for all. It pays to have this media cache on a separate drive to your media, and a fast one too.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Major Player

I have stored Media Cache files on a large capacity External Harddrive. As the Media Cache files are very small I am thinking that the 500 GB ext. drive is wasted. Would a Flash Drive (Memory stick) be suitable for the storage of the Media Cache files working with CS 5.

Last edited by Roy Alexander; March 18th, 2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #6
Trustee

Roy,

All storage devices, with the exception of SCSI drives, are half-duplex. That simply means they have to wait for reading to complete, before they can write to the same device or, alternatively, wait for the writing to complete, before they can read. That is the main reason why multiple disks are advised to spread the load, read from one device and write to another.

Responsiveness of a system depends to a large degree on sustained transfer rates of the storage devices attached, the higher the sustained transfer rate, the snappier the system feels.

Typically you will see sustained transfer rates like this:

USB2: 20 - 25 MB/s
FW400: 30 - 35 MB/s
FW800: 55 - 60 MB/s
USB3: 80 - 100 MB/s
SATA: 120 - 150 MB/s (eSATA is identical)
Raid0: generally almost n (number of disks) x single disk transfer rates.
Huge arrays: up to 3500 - 4000 MB/s

A Flash drive (memory stick) is generally even slower than a USB2 drive, so this is ill-advised. Media cache files on a SSD are feasible if it is a non-SandForce based controller and you are willing to accept the life-expectancy degradation.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite