DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   shot 60i, need to go to the web, now what? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/515108-shot-60i-need-go-web-now-what.html)

Rob Katz March 18th, 2013 05:20 AM

shot 60i, need to go to the web, now what?

shot 60i, need to go to the web, now what?

newbie asking but:

shot on a canon one-chipper.

thought i was shooting 30p but it turns out the canon 30p was actually wrapped on a 60i timeline.

i have never worked with interlaced footage.

the project is a series of interviews for the web.

how do i take this 60i footage and make it "web" ready?

(isn't the web standard progressive footage?)

on the next interview i shoot, am i condemned to shooting 60i again if i want the two interviews to cut together?

again, sorry for the newbie questions.

i'm cutting in adobe premiere elements.

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions
nyc

Battle Vaughan March 18th, 2013 11:07 PM

Re: shot 60i, need to go to the web, now what?

Last PElements I had was, oh, Elements 4, but I assume it's pretty much the same still. Your Canon hdv footage will import just fine. Pick your output, and let the program convert it. Most of the codecs -- quicktime, wmv, and mpeg -- have a frame order choice, change it to progressive if that's what you want. Nice thing about Elements, it has presets for a lot of common uses. Know what your web host needs and just pick the appropriate output -- oops, "share" choice.

If you pick a Flash output there are a number of choices. If you pick MPEG2 there are several defaults and in the "advanced" option you can set your frame size, frame rate, bitrate, etc. If by "web" you mean YouTube, the setups for that are already in the program, just pick one of the choices. Am I missing something here, this is pretty straightforward cut-and-output...?

As to your other question, you can mix file types on the timeline, within the limits of what Elements has codecs for. Make life easy on yourself and shoot in the same (16:9) format, at least, to avoid having to crop some of the images to make them fit or having them pillared (black bars on the sides). There's nothing wrong with 1080i, I made a living making web videos for a newspaper with a Canon xha1 in 1080i and converting the output to 1/4 size Quicktime files.....worked fine.

Jeff Pulera March 21st, 2013 01:46 PM

Hi Rob,

My HDV cameras are 1080i format only. No worries for web, as encoding presets for web will be progressive and video will be deinterlaced during the encode. In Adobe Media Encoder for instance, I just use the YouTube 720p 29.97 preset and the 1080i converts nicely.

Thanks

Byron Jones May 3rd, 2013 07:55 PM

With how frequently projects are requested for web, is there a reason to shoot interlaced if a camera has both? I am asking because I know some benefits of progressive, but I do not know if there any benefits of interlaced.