Color Grading/Correction Adobe Premiere vs After Effects and Additional Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 24th, 2013, 03:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Color Grading/Correction Adobe Premiere vs After Effects and Additional Questions

I was wondering what are the benefits of color correcting/grading in AE instead of Premiere?
For those of you that color with AE, whats the best way to batch edit?
Last, whats the best way to correct WB in post? I currently use fast color corrector and 3-way.
Although I always try and get it right in camera, there are times at live events in which I cannot dial the WB in accurately.
Old March 24th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #2
Slash Rules!

Re: Color Grading/Correction Adobe Premiere vs After Effects and Additional Questions

A friend of mine who's a professional colorist kind of destroyed my enthusiasm for doing it in AE for one simple reason: no scopes. The color finesse tool seems really cool and powerful for many projects, but without something objective to measure what you're doing, you're kind of flying blind. Even with a pro monitor you still want to know where you stand with luminance and color levels.

Now, you can BUY a scope plugin. I found one for $150 or so. Do you want to do that? Premiere has scopes built in. I'd like to hear what folks have to say about Premiere's tools as well as I recently got the CS6 suite and don't know too much about how powerful it is for things like this vs FCP6/7.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 06:47 AM   #3
Wrangler

Re: Color Grading/Correction Adobe Premiere vs After Effects and Additional Questions

If you're serious about color grading, SpeedGrade is an excellent option. It is part of the Adobe CS suite. It does have a color temperature correction tool that the color corrector effects in PPro don't have.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #4
Slash Rules!

forget what i said earlier about missing scopes. . looks like i was given bad info.
Old March 24th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Trustee

(grump warning) IMHO speedgrade is a muddle, I know that Adobe bought it whole and slapped their name on it, but it's so unlike the expected Adobe interface that it's baffling to use. I wish they would "Adobe-ize" it. And Color Finesse is sooo nice to work with, even if you do have to hand off to AE......(end grump. Didn't mean to hijack the thread. That is all for today.)
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #6
Slash Rules!

Apparently I have Speedgrade! Did not know that! SO MANY CHOICES!
Old March 25th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #7
Major Player

Hopefully at this year's NAB Adobe will demo big improvements in Speedgrade as it is a powerful color grading application.

Integrating Speedgrade into the Adobe UI and flow is a tough task to do as it is such a different interface to start with.

But very important basics like being able to output to an external calibrated grading monitor S T I L L cannot be done on the Mac platform. At last year's NAB Adobe stated they recognized that was an important issue and were working on resolution. That was a year ago. Many have had to move on.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #8
Slash Rules!

You just mean speedgrade on mac cant be output to an external monitor on mac right? Not that it cant be done period?
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #9
Wrangler

It does 2 monitors just fine on my Win 7 PC.
Old March 25th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer View Post
It does 2 monitors just fine on my Win 7 PC.
Pete are you using speedgrade successfully on a regular basis? I ran into difficulties with it but am now wondering if I just need to spend more time learning it.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #11
Slash Rules!

From the description it sounds like adobes answer to apple color...so a full fledged cc suite. So more complicared/sophisticated than color finesse or the cc tools in premiere.

PS in answer to the original question, colorista 2 is a cc plugin that works with a number of programs, runs about $300, and is supposed to be very good.
Old March 25th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #12
Wrangler

SpeedGrade was high dollar software for professional colorists when Adobe bought it from Iridas in late 2011 to complement Creative Suite:

http://www.dvinfo.net/news/adobe-acq...echnology.html

and I have little doubt that the interface will be transformed to be more "Adobe-like" in future iterations. I have to say, though, that it wasn't difficult to learn the basics even though I'm NOT a professional colorist...not even in my dreams. Once I got familiar with the interface and played with it a bit, I was quite taken with the power of the tools. I don't use it all the time, but it can definitely come in handy so I did this short video workshop to help folks get started on it:

Adobe CS6 DVi Workshop: Using Adobe Premiere Pro with SpeedGrade and Audition at DV Info Net

Hope it is helpful. If in the next version or two Adobe manages to keep the power of the existing tools while fully integrating into CS, I know I'll use it even more.
Old March 25th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #13
Trustee

Very nicely done and helpful tutorial, thank you!

I have to admit that for my limited needs, speedgrade tools don't seem all that more useful than the 3-way color corrector in PPro, plus the time-consuming file conversion to get into speedgrade in the first place. Perhaps I'm missing something.

...and there's a free plugin of Colorista available with similar tools, except for the the pre-set "looks" of course, but personally have little use for them....the Free Colorista plugin, for anyone who is interested, is here: Red Giant - Products - Magic Bullet Colorista Free 1.0
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
You just mean speedgrade on mac cant be output to an external monitor on mac right? Not that it cant be done period?
Yes - as stated in my post that this year long problem of not being able use the basic tool of grading using an external calibrated monitor is a MAC platform issue. The Windows platform has many I/O solutions for grading judgement on external NTSC calibrated monitors.

And taking the time to learn even just the basic functions of Speedgrade and/or Resolve is well worth your time - so much more powerful than the internal color correction tools inside Premiere. Functions like Power Windows and Tracking to control moving areas of effects are just amazing in these true grading apps. Very much like Photoshop for motion pictures. Believe Pete when he tells you it is worth your time to glean the basics of either of these programs.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Richard View Post
Very much like Photoshop for motion pictures.
Or just edit your video in Photoshop. So many options in CS6.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite