It's not Creative Suite anymore... news from Adobe - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 21st, 2013, 11:59 AM   #121
Inner Circle

Re: It's not Creative Suite anymore... news from Adobe

I first thought their new model would be impossible to crack as you needed to be online to use it but what I understand now you just physically install it on your harddrive anyway and you only need to connect to the internet on regular intervals to keep it working? If that's the case you can be sure it will be pirated anyway, I"m sure this is not to adobe's concern because whoever is using pirated copies would never get into a subscription model anyway so there is nothing to gain or lose. Their subscription model is just to get a constant monthly cash flow instead of getting peaks whenever a new version is released. I don't necessarily dislike this model but I don't like the fact that you never own the software, when you stop paying you can't use it anymore. For virusscans you also have a yearly subscription model to be updated but if you stop paying you can still use the software, you only won't get any updated virusdefinitions, this I think is a much more fair solution, you at least can continue using it but you know you will be less protected but that'"s a choice you can make, adobe doesn't give you a choice.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 03:18 PM   #122
Major Player

The software lives on your computer but still has to ping the server with a valid account in order to open. How do you see that as easy to crack Noa?
Old May 21st, 2013, 03:37 PM   #123
Trustee

That should not be any problem for a hacker. The ping gives a response, all you need to do is intercept it and modify it to your liking, or Adobe's liking, and send back a valid response. Done.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 05:11 PM   #124
Inner Circle

Well there you go :)

I don't want to turn this thread into a how to crack adobe's software, I just think Adobe is not that concerned about that too much, like I said, people that always have used a pirated copy will never buy a subscription, they"ll just look until they get a cracked copy or just get a cracked copy from another NLE. This is not Adobe's target audience, to them they are just parasites that will always be there and they have been used to live with them. Adobe has worked really hard to make excellent applications that a lot of professional people can't live without anymore, the subscription is just another way to tie these people to them permanently. It's just a business decision, partially to make everyone's lives easier but mainly to generate income, just like apple did when they killed fcp and gave fcpx to the community instead, only Apple is not aiming at the pro user, they know better where the money is at. :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 07:48 PM   #125
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bergstein View Post
Ultimately, as opposed to my immediate jumping ship from Apple over their amateur job of abandoning their client base, I am content to wait and see how this all plays out. I've not seen anything in the FAQ from Adobe, nor these great indepth discussions, to make me worried. But then, my name is Alfred (G). Now where do I pay MAD for referencial use of their trademark symbol?
I on the other hand am immediately jumping from Adobe as I see
this as a huge deal and am jumping back to Apple whom I left when
they made an entirely new kind of NLE. But I'd rather learn
a whole new NLE than pay monthly. And quite frankly, Apple
has released a ton of updates and made FCP X quite a bit better.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:56 AM   #126
Major Player

I used Youtube for the first time in a long time to upload for a client. (More of a Vimeo fan myself). I noticed all the offerings & enhancements they have now, color correction, shakiness stabilizer, video editor etc... Although I didn't really check them out, tho I peaked at the color corrector, pretty cool, kinda does Instagram/Magic Bullet preset type stuff, anyway it's becoming almost Premiere/FCP Light. I wonder if the talk from Google is to eventually grow Youtube into an online video editing source, and maybe Adobe has the forsight to battle it.

Amidst other things, piracy, profit etc...
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:01 AM   #127
Inner Circle

Piracy affects cash flow. It goes into Adobe's and for that matter, every SW developer's decision making.

I signed the change.org petition.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #128
Major Player

I think Adobe is now by far the most expensive editing suite, and with Avid's price going down and all the new features in their last update, it's the first time I ever thought learning Avid might be a good thing to do...

I mean I am not a professional editor, but I still want an NLE at home to edit my private stuff - and with the monthly paiment Adobe has just become too expensive for me as a private user. I mean before I could buy a package and use it indefinitely until I really needed an upgrade - this is now over.

Final Cut Pro X would be a good choice because of the low price, but I don't want to buy a Mac. I use them at work, but I don't really like their hardware choices.
Heiko Saele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #129
Equal Opportunity Offender

An interesting article has popped up regarding the Terms of Service that comes with CC. It's all 'Adobe' and no 'you'.

MPG blog - Adobe Creative Cloud: Lopsided Legal Agreement

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #130
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Bourcier View Post
The software lives on your computer but still has to ping the server with a valid account in order to open. How do you see that as easy to crack Noa?
No offense but if you believe that you're a dreamer. Obviously, as you mentioned, you've been stealing the software,so you know the reason people pirate software is pricing. There will be more people spending more time to crack this fiasco. You really have to look at the potential problem and risk. If people don't stand up to this now though, Adobe will have you by the short hairs. The people making all the plug-ins are going to start feeling the pain as well. People will stay away from the them until all this is sorted out.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #131
Major Player

Surely the plugin vendors are going to make use of the situation by trying to replicate some of the new features from CC with plugins for CS6?
Old May 28th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #132
Major Player

The assumptions regarding hacking their pay to play system are probably a bit on the naive side. It is unlikely the folks implementing the system are bumpkins just out of software engineering school. You are not dealing with a static system, but one that can require constant updates or updates at some periodicity, e.g. under the guise of "security". Some or all communications can be encrypted, so you wouldn't know the correct response to send unless you hacked the machine code or watched the registers and code execution to see how the decryption works. Much effort could be put into hacking something only to have the methodology change on a forced update, e.g. the application knows that it has to retrieve a specific package. There is also the possibility that deceptive code can be placed in the verification engine to look for behavior that is unexpected and shut things down permanently. Bruce Schneier says that ultimately there is no security and any system can be compromised. However, at what cost? Additionally, risk mitigation has its cost as well, and that cost can be reflected in system stability, software cost, etc.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #133
Major Player

Not necessary to crack the cloud, just pickup a pirated copy of CS6, which I've seen going for $4.00.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #134
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
Not necessary to crack the cloud, just pickup a pirated copy of CS6, which I've seen going for $4.00.
Or you could, you know, do the right thing and get a legitimate copy of CS6 and just stay put until Creative Cloud seems worthwhile to you.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #135
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
A quick count showed 38 titles included in the Creative Cloud package . It would be cheaper to pay Adobe.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite