It's not Creative Suite anymore... news from Adobe - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 17th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #151
Inner Circle

Re: It's not Creative Suite anymore... news from Adobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart View Post
I am looking forward to a time when or if Blackmagic attach a complementing serious editor to Resolve.
I'm not sure if it's what you have in mind but with Lightworks you can use Da Vinci not as plug in but as an export with AAF to Da Vinci. Perhaps not for everyone, but it's another option.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #152
Wrangler

I checked about half hour ago and the Cloud update is available.

No problem with downloads. First, the Adobe Application Manager (AAM) took a minute or two to update itself. On windows, it becomes a taskbar applet but you can also choose to have it as a windowed application, as before.

All my old CS6 applications showed up in AAM and then below them was the long list of new CC applications with "Install" buttons next to them. I'll get around to the rest later, but Photoshop CC took about 10 minutes to download and 5 minutes to install (on my Win 7 laptop i7 laptop -- decent machine but not my main editing box), while Premiere Pro CC took 8 minutes to download and roughly 4 minutes to install.

All seems good so far.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #153
Trustee

Too early to tell how good this is, but the update process seemed easy. It let me install Premiere CC alongside my previous CC CS6 too, which takes a little of the worry away.

Edit: And a new option, synch settings to cloud so I can use my settings on another PC or just get 'em back if I upgrade or trash my PC. At least I think it's new. Neat.

Edit edit: damn, have to figure out how to get all my presets and preferences in from CS6...
Old June 18th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #154
Wrangler

When opened, both Ps and Pr asked me if I wanted to import the CS6 settings into CC. I'd assume that is the software's standard. Did that not happen for you? I install a bunch of the other apps this evening and see if that's true for them as well.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #155
Inner Circle

Don't think I've seen this mentioned here yet but there are reports on the web today (engadget plus one or two other video/film making sites) that Adobe are canvasing opinions in a survey relating to the idea of "adjusting" this new rental model.

Adobe releases latest Creative Cloud apps, surveys disgruntled customers about pricing

Seems the idea is some kind of "retained ownership" (my choice of words) of CS6/CC6 at the end of a 3-year period - I would assume with all the updates that come in that period. That would make a lot more sense to me, but let's see what develops when the surveys findings "bite".

I just installed CS6 Production Premium on my new, top-spec Retina MBP. It's a download copy bought a month or so back, not CC, as I'm 'm not going the rental route (unless the above changes things dramatically....).

Anyway, for now, CS6 seems to fly on that baby, and I've yet to optimise everything!
Old June 18th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #156
Trustee

Pete,

I didn't see that option. I might try again, or check the options. I can probably copy them in manually, but I wondered if there was a simple one-click way.

/Off to have a rummage
Old June 18th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #157
Inner Circle

I just read on the official Adobe forum that CC does NOT have Encore, or indeed anyway of authoring DVD or BluRay optical media.

That disappointing change came in under (at least my) radar...Seems the Creative Suite 6 version previously available on disc is as far as Adobe will take it.

Adobe Community: Never leave CS6. CC pricing sucks, but this is even worse...

MODERATOR NOTE: I think this is an important enough topic that I'm copying this post to a dedicated thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-cr...encore-cc.html
Old June 18th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #158
Major Player

No complaints on the CC. $50 a month is not hard to swing at all.

Don't know why people are taking this as justification for jumping back to another product. If you were convinced to use another platform to produce then by all means. Cinema4D + AE integration is worth $50 a month to me alone.

Then there's Photoshop. And Illustrator. And Premiere... And...
Old June 18th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #159
Inner Circle

Quote:
No complaints on the CC. $50 a month is not hard to swing at all.
Is there any guarantee these prices remain the same or are they some introductory price to attract new subscribers and then to renew their pricing policy in a year or so?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #160
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Is there any guarantee these prices remain the same or are they some introductory price to attract new subscribers and then to renew their pricing policy in a year or so?
$100 a month for seamless Cinema4D -> AE integration, and I would still pay. You would have to be getting very few jobs a month not to justify $50 bucks. The total value of my gear depreciates more than that every month.
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #161
Inner Circle

Well, it might come to a point where you"d pay 1200 dollar every year and still don't own anything if you stop paying, that might be a reason why so many are complaining and going for another option, I also read about them removing encore from their line of products, so if I understand right that if you don't have a cs6 version now you have to find other solutions to make a dvd just because adobe thinks it's not necessary anymore? I read adobe can make this kind of decisions (removing a application from a cloud) when they feel like it and without anyone being able to do something about it, doesn't sound very reassuring to me in a production environment.
Old June 18th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #162
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Molush View Post
$100 a month for seamless Cinema4D -> AE integration, and I would still pay. You would have to be getting very few jobs a month not to justify $50 bucks. The total value of my gear depreciates more than that every month.
$1 a month and I wouldn't pay. Has nothing to do with how many jobs someone is getting.

Most users don't want a subscription model period. Doesn't matter how many tools it opens up.
That's why so many users are leaving Adobe including me.
Jeff Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 02:00 AM   #163
Inner Circle

The lock in with subscription services is all that worries me. With a purchase, I control everything. I also do lots of things - this week, for instance, I have not got any planned use of my Adobe products, BUT I am in the music studio and working in some theatres and a live music event. I need to be able to not touch software for sometimes months and then use it. Last week, I needed to do a very small job that saw me using an adobe product installed along side CS3! It was deleted in CS4 and Adobe stopped development. I can still use this product. On a subscription model, I could never guarantee this kind of thing. I have tons of paid for software spread across machines and rooms and on a pay per month basis, I could never afford to keep them all current. I'm on CS5, and sadly that is where I shall stay. When I need the next upgrade to my computer, I'll try to move it, but if the authorisation servers get switched off, then I will be off. I expect the model to be expanded, I don't think Adobe will change their minds.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 02:11 AM   #164
Inner Circle

Giants like adobe and apple have the possibility to change peoples expectations and they have the luxury to make these kind of decisions which can change the way we work with their products, something a small company would never be able to do, I only hope this will not be a trend other manufacturers will be following. It is no secret Apple is no fan of dvd and blu-ray either and like Adobe they too see it all in the cloud with no physical delivery anymore. To be honest, my ideal world would also be to just press a upload button from right within my NLE and deliver every work I do to my clients pc in that way but it's not a good idea to force that upon users from one day to the next. It can take a long time for everyone to catch up and I think manufacturers like Apple and Adobe should at least provide an easy workable (and supported) solution during and after that transition period instead.
Old June 19th, 2013, 03:37 AM   #165
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
I just read on the official Adobe forum that CC does NOT have Encore, or indeed anyway of authoring DVD or BluRay optical media.

That disappointing change came in under (at least my) radar...Seems the Creative Suite 6 version previously available on disc is as far as Adobe will take it.

Adobe Community: Never leave CS6. CC pricing sucks, but this is even worse...

MODERATOR NOTE: I think this is an important enough topic that I'm copying this post to a dedicated thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-cr...encore-cc.html
This isn't quite as black as reported. As a Creative Cloud subscriber you can still download & install Premiere Pro CS6 which installs Encore CS6 (then remove PP if you want) Using Encore CS6 with PremierePro CC DAV's TechTable

I don't believe that Encore CS6 is any different to Encore CS5.5 or maybe even earlier so in terms of authoring functionality then I am happy to use the CS6 version but the downside is the Dynamic Linking from PP CC does not work for Encore CS6. This is a great feature if it works but has been so buggy that many/most people do not use it. I have been using it for the last couple of projects that I authored & it worked great so I was hoping that they would have fixed the bugs in a CC version but it's not to be evidently.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite