DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   What export settings will keep text crisp? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/516746-what-export-settings-will-keep-text-crisp.html)

Byron Jones May 22nd, 2013 07:10 PM

What export settings will keep text crisp?

I have filmed a musical in 1080p30 and have it in a sequence with the same settings. The customer wants it scaled down to DVD (single layer only). I tried knowing there would be a loss in quality. I was not upset with the video, but the titles and credits look horrible. Well, horrible when played in a DVD player. The titles looked like I put in multiple copies and slightly offset them. The credits (rolling) looked like I was watching them through blinds. When I put the DVD in the Bluray player, it is passible. What can I do to get the titles and credits to look better on the DVD when played in a DVD player? I am just venturing into shooting HD. Thanks!!

...Using Premiere Pro CS5.5 and Encore...

Ann Bens May 23rd, 2013 08:24 AM

Re: What export settings will keep text crisp?

You cannot avoid quality loss going from HD to SD.

If you are using an ordinary dvd player it should be hooked onto an analog tv.
If you want to show the dvd on a HD tv BD-player is the way to go. Or use a dvd player with upscaler.
If you want crisp titles make a BluRay or HD.mp4 for a standalone media player.
About 60-90 minutes will fit nicely on a dvd. If the timeline is longer compression will kick in.
What is wrong with a Double layer.

David Barnett May 23rd, 2013 08:50 AM

Just checking did you make the text in Premiere itself, and not a Jpeg file or someething you saved from Photoshop? I would think Premiere uses Vector graphics which scale accordinly. Otherwise, I'm sure it's just something in your workflow. Probably has to do with the pixel dimension, 1.33 vs 0.91. There's probably a way around it, but your best bet would be to open the premiere file, save it as version 2. Then take all the text off, and save it as an mpeg4. Then open the mpeg4 in a DV widescreen file & add the credits. Otherwise, you could try right clicking on the titles & text & reinterpret footage, or in Adobe Media Encoder change the pixel dimension. Again, there's gotta be a way, I'm sure in Hollywood they don't revise graphics for bluray & DVD, its the same film, footage & text. Again, you may want to redo your workfold & add the text after downconverting it to SD, bit of a pain I'm sure, but it's that or keep troubleshooting or trial & error.

Ann Bens May 23rd, 2013 05:18 PM

Premiere does not use vector graphics it rasterizes on import.

Byron Jones May 24th, 2013 08:22 PM

Ann, I would prefer to use DL disks for anything 2+ hours, but for this project I am delivering one master DVD and they are making copies. Their duplicator can only handle standard DVDs. No DL.

David, I did make the text in PPRO as still titles. I added a fade in/out with the effects palette. I am now considering a more corporate looking sans serif font as the serifs definitely looked the worst. Oh, and I am becoming the king of trial and error! Maybe I will even start learning from it.

I don't know if it is just the lack of sleep, but I think exporting the media and importing into Encore looked better than sending via dynamic link.

Sareesh Sudhakaran May 26th, 2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron Jones (Post 1796875)
... but the titles and credits look horrible. Well, horrible when played in a DVD player. The titles looked like I put in multiple copies and slightly offset them. The credits (rolling) looked like I was watching them through blinds. .

Add blur, about 1 or 2% should be perfect for rolling credits and interlaced footage. That's all you have to do.