How can I apply the same time to a bunch of pictures on a timeline? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 9th, 2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How can I apply the same time to a bunch of pictures on a timeline?

Good morning,
I'm playing around with a music video where I want a bunch of pictures to appear in quick sequence (about a second each) in the background. It's ok if they repeat but I would like them to show to the beat of the music. I know how to apply a duration to each one, but unless I'm missing something, how can I put them all on the timeline and apply the same duration to each one at the same time? I also have After Effects if someone can tell me how to use that if it's easier.

Thanks,
Art
CS5 Master Suite.
Art White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:37 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: How can I apply the same time to a bunch of pictures on a timeline?

Set the default Stills Duration in Preferences to one second and then drag your stills to the time-line.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 12:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

There it is. Knew it was something simple and I've done it before, but couldn't remember how. My memory must be the first thing to go. I thought it would be my hair.
Thanks Harm
Old August 11th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #4
Major Player

Have a look at Automate to sequence with At unnumbered markers.
Markers are set to the beat of the music and easily applied with the * key while playing the music.
Old August 14th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Harm is spot on, I'd just like to add one small thing to make your life easier.

Lets say that the stills duration is set at 100 frames or 4 secs @ 25fps (I'm a PAL guy :) ). Then you import a bunch of pictures, put them on the timeline and decide that you want them to be 2 sec long. No big deal, you change the stills duration time in options. And then you pull the stills back to the timeline only to find that the duration is still 4 sec, what the hell, you start cursing at PPRO, engineers etc.

The solution is very simple, import them again in to the bin and voila, the duration is 2 seconds.

The stills duration value is valid only when you import the material to the timeline.

This way you can import different (or even same) stills with different duration times.
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Ann, I'll try that on my 2nd project as a another option. Zoran, didn't know that either. Good tip.
Thanks!
Art
Old August 27th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoran Vincic View Post
Harm is spot on, I'd just like to add one small thing to make your life easier.

Lets say that the stills duration is set at 100 frames or 4 secs @ 25fps (I'm a PAL guy :) ). Then you import a bunch of pictures, put them on the timeline and decide that you want them to be 2 sec long. No big deal, you change the stills duration time in options. And then you pull the stills back to the timeline only to find that the duration is still 4 sec, what the hell, you start cursing at PPRO, engineers etc.

The solution is very simple, import them again in to the bin and voila, the duration is 2 seconds.

The stills duration value is valid only when you import the material to the timeline.

This way you can import different (or even same) stills with different duration times.
Actually you do not have to import them again.
You select all the stills in the Project Window, right click and change the Duration in Speed/Duration, and drop them in the timeline
If you have all the stills already on the timeline and find them too long/short: you select the Ripple Trim Tool, lasso all the stills on the timeline and then shorten/lengthen them all in one go.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite