Audio limiter for PP CS6? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 20th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #1
Major Player

Audio limiter for PP CS6?

Premiere Pro CS6 doesn't work with the variety of vst plugins I own so I've been exporting for audio mastering in another program. The Adobe limiter in the dynamics plugin isn't exactly broadcast quality and cc supports Ozone but not CS6. Anyone find a good quality limiter that appears in the pp mixer?
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Audio limiter for PP CS6?

Adobe doesn't do all-in-one programs very well, outside of, say, Photoshop. What they want you to do, is send the audio from PPro to Audition, which has a fine selection of tools including limiters, compressors, equalizers, etc. To this end, the audio processing tools inside of PPro are as you have found, somewhat less than robust.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes but the mixer isn't horrible and the master buss has effects inserts, it just doesn't let you use most good quality VST effects. There are a few I've found such as these MFreeEffectsBundle that do appear in the effects menu but the limiter isn't any better than the stock Adobe plugin. There must be at least one decent limiter that will run in PP.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:28 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I find that the audio compressor that comes with CS6 is very good and the parameters allow flexible setting of the knee and the compression ratio. You might try using a high compression ratio and a high knee position to see if it sounds right for your purpose. It's not a limiter, but it might do what you want?
Guy Caplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:13 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I find the included dynamics plugin surprisingly good and use it ALL the time if there's no separate sound postproduction.

Both the compressor and limiter work just fine.

Of course it won't sound good if you overdo it in either section.

(15+ years in music, monitoring chain: RME Fireface800, Presonus central station, Adam S2a)
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:14 PM   #6
Major Player

You can certainly get by using the makeup gain of the compressor to drive the limiter as long as the limiter threshold is at zero and the release is at its fastest setting, but there's a loss of transparency. It's probably good enough for a youtube video but I wouldn't use it on anything important.

I have CS6 and not CC, so this is infuriating. iZotope | PRESS
Duane Adam is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite