RAM considerations with Adobe CS6 and up at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 26th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #1
Major Player

RAM considerations with Adobe CS6 and up

Just went through some interesting issues with Adobe CS6. Worth sharing with all of you.

I have been editing a 30+ minute video production, about 7 tracks of both audio and video, mainly either MXF or AVCHD cameras. Went to render the final production this week, and found that the video locked up and crashed on render. This was on i7 with 8GBs of RAM and fast larger RAID drives. I upgraded my RAM to 16 MBs this week, and can tell you, that I have now watched Adobe render with Windows task manager up and my relatively simple project pegs all 8 Cores and Physical Memory spikes upwards of 14 GBs when rendering. What this tells me and should tell you, is that if you are experiencing crashes and hangs with Adobe and you are only running 8 GBs of RAM, that you should upgrade RAM first. It is clear that working with 1080p HD footage, you are going to run out of RAM first, if you have large spacious hard disks.Words to the wise.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: RAM considerations with Adobe CS6 and up

Al,

Good to see you had such success with the extra memory. We have been saying that for years now. See Background Information and move to the CPU / Memory test, MPEG2-DVD and look at the chart about memory. It said the same thing, only very long ago.

Currently with CS6 and CC I would say that 16 GB is the practical minimum, 32 GB is optimal for PR and 64 GB is only helpful if you use AE regularly. Note however the warning about using QuickTime or ProRes on this page: Tweakers Page
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 02:52 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Harm. Sometimes one does not take the time to review previous posts. I'll do so! I agree 16mb is minimum for HD shooting especially with multiple formats.hope this helps someone in the future avoid thrash. Worth noting that it worked pretty well up to point of final render, but i have a number of sequences I'm bringing together in final form.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Major Player

isn't this where proxy files would be beneficial?

I've looked at some vids explaining them but haven't tried it yet!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite