Singling out I and P-Frames at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 11th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Tourist

Singling out I and P-Frames

Hi everybody,

I'm a graphic design major working on a project for school regarding Glitch Art.

One of the things I'm trying to cover is glitching a video by manipulating the I and/or P frames. (demonstrated here:)
I've done some research on it and watched some instructional videos, and even got it to work in a really low resolution form using some really crappy freeware.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to replicate it in a higher resolution if possible. I've seen it done; in a recent Adventure Time episode (that I can't find online anymore) focused on Glitch Art the climactic scene had this effect while remaining HD and crisp. As to whether or not they were actually using the effect or simply simulating it to retain image quality, I'm not sure.

So here's my question:
Is there a way, through Adobe Premiere (or something else in the suite) to isolate P and I frames, manipulate/remove them, and still end up with a high quality image? I know a big part of this is choosing the correct file format (or possibly encoding, I'm not sure), but can anybody steer me in the right direction?

In the crappy freeware solution I was using .AVI files (I believe this is because they don't use B-frames?), but I think this led to a degradation of image quality. I could be wrong though.

Any advice? Thanks guys!

EDIT: Also, I'm aware that the very nature of this effect comes from the fact that the video is being compressed, so obviously there needs to be SOME quality loss. I'm just trying to minimize it if possible.

Last edited by Jack Koloskus; September 11th, 2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: addition
Jack Koloskus is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite