Duplication/replication from Encore at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 23rd, 2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Duplication/replication from Encore

Hi All

I need 150 copies of a 1 hour long event video on DVD. I am trying to organise to send this to a company to do but am not sure what is the difference between duplication and replication?

Also, if I export my project from Encore as a master will most places be able to burn directly from that? I have a chapters and menu screen so really don't want it to lose anything in the burning process..

Thanks in advance!!!

Kind Regards
Diana
Diana Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 02:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Duplication/replication from Encore

replication and duplication are terms used to differentiate a copy over a DVD-R (chemical process) ou DVD (physical process).
for small batch (under 250) DVD-R is cheaper because you do not need the master disc.
If you make a project with Encore and you check it is readable on a stand alone dvd player, there are good chances it will be accepted by replicators.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Trustee

Duplication of DVD is simply involves burning copies of the DVD just as you would on your computer.
This results in a DVD-R which technically should not be labeled with the "DVD Video" icon.
This is usually cost effective for the quantities you mentioned.
Replication involves making a glass master DVD stamp, which is used to stamp out large quantities of DVD quickly and accurately. This produces a DVD ROM and is labeled as "DVD Video"
Usually replication becomes cost effective in quantities of 1,000 or more.
Whichever facility you choose will tell you the best way to get what you need, and will let you know what sort of master file they require- often it is simply an image file (.iso) of your DVD.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 08:47 PM   #4
Major Player

Hey Diana...

Simply save the build out to an ISO image..
Duplication is the way to go for your needs. If you don't have a tower burner, then usually, somebody who does sporting events, or dance recitals should have the equipment to simply duplicate your original ISO image. Usually 10 discs at a time. Each ISO burn on a DVD-R shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

Nothing gets lost in the process. It's a straightforward copy.
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 12:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you both!!

Another question.. If I build my DVD as normal in Encore is there anything specific I need to do to make it a Master?
Diana Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #6
Inner Circle

no, a DVD has no master feature, except if you are looking for protection (CSS encryption).
in that case you need to provide a special master, but it requires a special burner.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Fisk View Post
Thank you both!!

Another question.. If I build my DVD as normal in Encore is there anything specific I need to do to make it a Master?
No. Either an ISO file or playable disc can be used as a master for duplication.

I used to write the software that ran both tower and automated high speed duplicators, included integrated printing, so I know what's needed and what's not ;) I use Encore to make ISO files and send them to duplicators via a network, but I could just as easily make playable discs and read them as masters.
Old September 30th, 2013, 09:03 AM   #8
Major Player

The duplicators that we use accept a DVD-R to create their glass master. I just post it to them.

An ISO could be used if the files are small enough or you both have fast internet connections.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite