DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Can I use Adobe Audition to remove vocals from a song? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/519768-can-i-use-adobe-audition-remove-vocals-song.html)

Art White November 3rd, 2013 04:04 PM

Can I use Adobe Audition to remove vocals from a song?

I have a song that I want to remove the vocals from it. I have Adobe Audition CS5 but I have never used it. It's only a personal project because I want to sing to it. Before I research in detail to even see if it is possible I thought I would ask. My little bit of research showed me I can use this audacity software to remove some of the vocals in Mono? It would be a good project for me to learn if I can use Audition. Anybody know anything?

Thanks,
Art

Stephen Brenner November 3rd, 2013 05:23 PM

Re: Can I use Adobe Audition to remove vocals from a song?

If the vocals are on a separate track, you can click that track off and save the files with just the other track active.

Art White November 3rd, 2013 05:42 PM

I'll have to load it and see since I've never used it. I'm guessing if the originals recorded on different tracks then I should be able to get rid of it., I'm guessing

Thanks,
Art

Battle Vaughan November 3rd, 2013 06:57 PM

The center-channel extractor effect (it's in cs6, I assume it's in cs5 also) might do the job. The typical "vocal removal" effect tools basically remove any content that is common to both channels, which is how vocals are typically recorded -- the vocalist "center stage" and recorded equally in both channels. If this is not the case, of course, the effect fails.

Art White November 3rd, 2013 07:52 PM

Thanks for the help. I think I'm out of luck. I read some more and learned unless it's a master or recorded separately like you say, it won't work. I have sound booth CS5. I see two channels one on top and bottom but they are the same. Oh well, it was a thought.
Thanks

Bob Ohlemann November 4th, 2013 06:34 AM

I don't know how important this is to you or what the song is but, there are often several versions of a song available. 5.1 and 7.1 surround versions of some music can be purchased. These are usually mastered in a way that gives a listener the separation of instruments as you would hear in a live performance. These multi-channel versions of songs will have the vocals on a separate track making removal easier.

Bob

Art White November 4th, 2013 09:13 AM

Bob,
Don't understand what you are saying. You mean purchase the song as surround sound somewhere? It is a church song that I want to sing to and surprise my kids. Sounds like it was recorded in front of a live audience. Are you saying if it were surround sound I would be able to separate the tracks?
Thanks
Art

Jeff Pulera November 4th, 2013 09:22 AM

There are karaoke versions of tons of songs on YouTube, and free software that allows you to grab those songs (download). For personal use, that is where I would look for a solution. Or check iTunes for karaoke version and buy it. My daughter is a singer ;-)

Jeff

Art White November 4th, 2013 10:59 AM

Ok, Jeff, don't even mention my name in the same sentence with your Daughter or any other singer! I do want to surprise my daughters who do sing. I peeked at the karaoke listings locally for it but being a church group and just family singers, I'm having a hard time. But it is a catchy tune. Thanks for the suggestion tho,
Art