DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Media Encoder Crashing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/519936-media-encoder-crashing.html)

Andy Young November 12th, 2013 10:07 AM

Media Encoder Crashing

I've been having issues with Media encoder recently. If I try to export longer sequences(20 minutes to 1 hr) media encoder will abruptly crash my computer. There's no warning of any type, it just shuts down. I thought maybe I was having issues with CS6 but I have since upgraded to CC and it still gives me issues. I'm running a late 2010 iMac with 16GB ram. Has anyone else had similar issues?

Juris Lielpeteris November 12th, 2013 02:54 PM

Re: Media Encoder Crashing

Shutting down may be due to overheating of the CPU or GPU.

Andy Young November 12th, 2013 08:05 PM

Is there anything I could be doing to stop that from happening? Its a recent phenomenon.

Juris Lielpeteris November 12th, 2013 09:28 PM

You can monitor the temperature during the rendering. I don't know how to do this with MAC, on PC I can use appropriate programs

Al Bergstein November 13th, 2013 12:57 AM

Have you tried rendering directly? Not putting it in the queue? Sometimes, I've found that works more reliably.

Andy Young November 13th, 2013 09:03 AM

Its hit or miss when coming directly from premiere. I have had 45 minute sequences render fine. And just now I had a 7 minute sequence crash the computer.

Chris Hsiung February 1st, 2014 07:46 PM

Thanks Juris for turning me to the potential cause. I noticed when I was exporting hour long videos overnight on Adobe Media Encoder, I would wake up next morning and see that the computer had rebooted itself. Yet, when I would let it render in the background while I worked, it would render fine.

This fits the overheating theory because when I'm running editing on Premiere Pro, the CPU usage drops for the background rendering and overheating is less likely. When it I run it overnight, the all the cores are maxed out.

I use to have heating issues with my old Macbook and downloaded the smcFanControl program. It's a free little app that allows you to monitor temperature as well as control fan speed. On my old laptop, I would run the fans at maximum everytime I had to render or export video, and that prevented it from crashing. It seems to be working as well for my late 2009 iMac 27" quad core with 16 GB RAM as well. By manually controlling the fanspeed, I'm getting a 20 degree difference on my graphics card.

I should note that this is different than just Media Encoder crashing. In my case, my whole computer would restart.

Anyway, hope that helps someone out.

Harm Millaard February 2nd, 2014 03:55 AM

A computer shutting down is a typical case of the thermal protection kicking in, to prevent permanent damage to the CPU. The only remedy is to improve the cooling of the system. A temporary solution can be a thorough spring cleaning, but usually it means adding fans to improve air flow. One solution some use is to remove the left side panel and placing an large external fan to blow cool air directly into the system, aesthetically maybe not the best solution, but it is very effective.

Kevin Monahan February 10th, 2014 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Young (Post 1820323)
I've been having issues with Media encoder recently. If I try to export longer sequences(20 minutes to 1 hr) media encoder will abruptly crash my computer. There's no warning of any type, it just shuts down. I thought maybe I was having issues with CS6 but I have since upgraded to CC and it still gives me issues. I'm running a late 2010 iMac with 16GB ram. Has anyone else had similar issues?

Hi Andy,
Please see this KB doc for a possible fix: Adobe Media Encoder CC crashes on launch | Mac

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan February 14th, 2014 03:16 PM

Hi,
I also wrote a blog post addressing this issue: Prevent crash on export with Premiere Pro CC & Adobe Media Encoder CC

Thanks,
Kevin

Erick Munari October 6th, 2014 04:50 AM

I'm looking for answers regarding this inexplicable glitch on my exports, I'm I doing something wrong? Is my machine bugged? Is Adobe bugged? Here is a sample of an video I exported via Adobe Media Encoder CC 2014.0.1 where an apparent glitch in the form of flashing green frames come up every so often (in this sample video, at about 1 second, and then later around 7 or 8 sec.

-The glitch does not show while editing and previewing on Premiere.
- There were two exports, one in Match source, 32Mbps, VBR, 1 pass, and a second export at: H.264, 5Mbps, 2 pass

I'll be doing more tests now where I'll remove all filters: 'three way color correct' and 'vignette'
Thank you for your time,

Erick

Ps:. I made some tests since, exported through Premiere only, it works fine. I contacted Adobe, they told me it was a Nvidia issue, drivers needed to be uploaded and that I must switch from Mercury Engine hardware to software only . I have just uploaded my drives, however, it is hard to tell from Nvidia site if I'm doing it properly and what to do once the driver files have been installed. Having said that, I'll test Media Encoder again when I have time, assuming that my GPU drives have been updated.