anyone using an imac to edit premiere pro? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 11th, 2014, 08:12 AM   #1
Major Player

anyone using an imac to edit premiere pro?

anyone using an imac to edit premiere pro?

if so, which imac?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions/nyc
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: anyone using an imac to edit premiere pro?

Hi Rob, I'm on a late 2012, 27" 3.4 quad i7, 32Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB, using Premiere Pro CS6.0.5. Very satisfying!
Erick Munari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm also using a similar iMac to edit MXF and AVCHD multicam on CC (current version). No complaints, other than it appears I've had maybe 25% more crashes on Mac than on Windows than on Mac (I've edited quite a bit on both in the last year.) I do not blame the Mac OS for this, as much as I don't have crashes on any of my other apps. So it seems to be unique to Pr. I was not having this level of crashes on Windows 7 with the same version of CC. If you are working on a Mac and don't need the power of the new Mac Pro, I'd feel very comfortable recommending it.
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:11 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

I don't edit in Premiere particularly much on my iMac but further to what Al says, whenever I have Photoshop or Premiere open while working in FCP7, I experience a LOT of strange behaviour requiring restarts that I personally attribute to Adobe memory management. In 12+ years of having Adobe and Apple products coexist on Macs, I've always believed that there is a memory leak with certain Adobe products on MacOS. I can run for days with a ton of applications open behind FCP with no issue but open up Photoshop or Premiere (no, they aren't fighting for IO resources...) and I get a couple of hours.

I'm on a 27" 2.7GHz i5 w. 4 GB (I really should have maxed out RAM) and it's getting close to retirement time for this workhorse.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite