Video Card for Premiere at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 11th, 2014, 03:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Video Card for Premiere

Hi. Can you recommend a video card thats the best bang for buck. I am editing full hd 50p avchd files in the main including some multi can edits. My current card is a gt530 which is terrible and I get a lot of stuttering while scrubbing and multi can editing. My PC is an i7 with16GB RAM and a 1 TB HDD. The card I am looking at is the GTX660. Obviously there are better cards out there but imnot interested in gaming so if this card was suited to editing then great. Any advice on what card to get? Ideally I'm looking for something <€200 if possible. Thanks for your help.
Aindreas Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 05:56 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Video Card for Premiere

Tweakers Page - What video card to use?
Quote:
My PC is an i7 with16GB RAM and a 1 TB HDD.
The singular description worries me. Do you only have a single disk? Then I suggest you get at least two more to spread the load. See Tweakers Page - Disk Setup

Last edited by Harm Millaard; March 12th, 2014 at 05:45 AM.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 12:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for that. Some great info there!
Old March 19th, 2014, 06:55 AM   #4
Major Player

Your 660 card is probably fine for editing.

I don't know what brand it is as GeForce cards are made by something less than a dozen different manufacturers, none of which are NVIDIA, and they each have a somewhat varied specification.

Be conscious of the fan status and the temperature on the card.
Old March 19th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm going for the GTX650 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE - as it seems this is the most optimised card for my system according to that tweakers page?

I need to make sure it will fit into the case I have first though!!
Old March 19th, 2014, 02:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aindreas Lynch View Post
I'm going for the GTX650 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE - as it seems this is the most optimised card for my system according to that tweakers page?

I need to make sure it will fit into the case I have first though!!
If you haven't already, Make sure you have enough power too!

I made that mistake with my last build and ended up having to make some minor changes as I didnt have the budget to change out the PSU at the time. Still must have put some stress on it. even though the machine lasted for several years before the PSU went kaput, I think it was the video card that eventually did in the PSU. When I swapped out for a new psu the capacitors on the video card, (Sparkle brand NVidia card with 2GB memory) blew up like fireworks... not a fun day. To my surprise, I swapped out the video card and the machine is back up and running like a champ... with a bigger PSU and a cheaper video card (but still better than the old one).

I can't complain.
Ralph Gereg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 09:18 AM   #7
Major Player

This is one of those tradeoff areas with gamer cards. Heat and power consumption...

Gamer cards benchmark well because they are clocked up to the edge of what the components can withstand...but GeForce cards take more power and produce more heat than Quadro cards with comparable performance in video and graphics applications that don't benchmark as well due to more conservative clock speeds, etc.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite