Blu-ray Burner Recommendation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 31st, 2014, 10:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Blu-ray Burner Recommendation

I am using a couple year old MacBook Pro and would like to start burning videos with menus on Blu-ray discs. I have a Thuderbolt , USB 2.0, and Firewire 800 port available. I will be burning the discs from Encore. I have heard rumors of certain burners working better or worse with certain blank media. I have also heard that certain brands produce discs that are compatible in more blu-ray players than others. Anyone have experience here that they would share? Any particular burners/media work well for you? Should I stay away from any particular brands? Thanks!
Byron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 07:25 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Blu-ray Burner Recommendation

If I were you I would steer clear of pretty much ALL brands. I can't see anyone even having a BluRay player in a few years. I give everything (wedding videos) either as a download or on a USB stick in HD and never had anyone ask for anything else since I started!
Aindreas Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 07:07 PM   #3
Trustee

I've been using the same LG BD Burner on a Windows machine for several years with never a problem.
All of my Blu Ray and DVD projects are authored on Encore
For media I use the relatively inexpensive Verbatim printable BD and, as far as I know, I have never had a problem with player compatibility.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 04:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Aindreas, people said that CDs, DVDs, the internet, and email would not last as well... CDs are the closest to extinction, but my original CD burner died years ago and was well worth the investment. Either way, I have brides wanting Blu-ray now. If that changes a few years down the line, then I would definitely have gotten my money out of it by then. I do offer HD video via download and USB. Only a couple takers on the download and they still wanted discs as well. No takers on the USB yet.

Thanks Bob. The price looked good, so it's nice to hear you haven't had issues.
Byron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 12:16 AM   #5
Major Player

Second that on the LG BR Writers.

LG BE14NU40 | LG USA

It's been dependable for me as well as having the capability to write to the bigger 100gb+ BR discs and M-Disc support.

Discs I've used have been Verbatim, Kodak, Panasonic (all inkjet printable) without any problems.

If you can, try to get one that is "bus-powered" and "USB 3.0". Saves an outlet in your power strip with a fast interface!!

Disc's aren't going away anytime soon as I still get a lot of requests for CD's, DVD's and BR's.
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #6
Major Player

The LG BE14 works like a charm on Macs, I use it with Toast 11 and never had a bad disc.
It is a money maker for me especially when past weddings that I have archived as full project files. They call me and ask if I can make their DVD wedding into a BluRay. Sure $100 a copy.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite