Best effect for horrible audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 12th, 2014, 01:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best effect for horrible audio

Hi All

I have attached a file taken from a recording from a sound booth at a recent concert I filmed.. Any advice on how to make it any better using Premiere or Audition? I have improved it slightly with a high pass effect but not sure if this is the best option?

Any help would be so greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
Diana
Attached Files
File Type: mov Highlights_1.mov (436.1 KB, 200 views)
Diana Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 03:31 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Best effect for horrible audio

Ouch - Sounds like a bad cable.

I quickly ran it through Audition and got this, but with a bit of gentle tweaking you should get an improvement. Save different versions in case you process it too much.

Open the file in Audition and select the first few seconds before the singing starts, then press SHIFT + P to capture a noise print.

Then go to effects > Noise Reduction/Restoration > Noise Reduction (process). In the box that comes up there are two sliders, one for reduction and the other for how many dB to reduce. Be pretty conservative or it'll sound like a robot in a drainpipe. If your computer speakers are not wonderful, you can use headphones.

There's a play button in the bottom to preview the effect before you apply. Remember to select the whole waveform, not just the bit you sampled for the noise print.

Then you can boost the overall level and do it all again as I did. It's not wonderful but its better than it was. It also sounds a bit thin because of the low frequencies you removed with the HPF.

Someone who really knows what they're doing could do a much better job than me, including getting rid of the buzzes here & there.
Attached Files
File Type: wav Highlights_fix_audio.wav (1.88 MB, 120 views)

Last edited by Mark Whittle; July 12th, 2014 at 03:50 AM. Reason: upload file
Mark Whittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 06:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Audition has great facilities for dealing with noise. I think there is even a hum preset.
Dave O'Melia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 07:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Nicely cleaned up by Mark. I wouldn't guess it will get measurably better than that.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 04:15 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks so much!!! Mark, your answer was incredibly helpful :))
Diana Fisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 06:52 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Fisk View Post
Thanks so much!!! Mark, your answer was incredibly helpful :))
Yes, what Mark said. I would add that several light passes are usually better than one heavy pass. And, the "trick" to this kind of noise reduction is to recognize that you aren't trying to eliminate the noise, just reduce it to an acceptable level. If you push too far, you generate too many artifacts, and find that you're just trading the first noise for new artifacts, which in general isn't much of an improvement.

If you really want to get after it, look at the IZotope RX 3 set of tools. Pricey, but works.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite