How do I edit AVCHD footage on Premiere Pro 5.5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 19th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #1
Major Player

How do I edit AVCHD footage on Premiere Pro 5.5

The footage is from the Sony NX3 and its horribly choppy when editing / playback on Premiere Pro 5.5.

Maybe I need a faster computer or more RAM? (I have the Intel 8400 and 4 gigs of RAM)

Convert it to another format?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Right now, as I go through the editing, about every 5 seconds it becomes too choppy when I am playing back on the timeline.

Thanks!!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 09:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: How do I edit AVCHD footage on Premiere Pro 5.5

I have an i7-4770, not the fastest or greatest available but with 16 Gb RAM and a 1 Gb graphics card on board it runs anything i've had to edit so far!
Haven't tried any 4K stuff yet tho!

I'd imagine 4 Gb of RAM is not enough, also you don't say if you've got a dedicated graphics card or not?
but maybe a new system with plenty of RAM and a good graphics card is the solution, especially for AVCHD
Old July 20th, 2014, 05:05 AM   #3
Trustee

That CPU is way underpowered to handle AVCHD footage. It is 6 years old and has only 2 cores. In addition 4 GB is not enough by far. Time to upgrade...

For ideas, look at What kind of PC to use?
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 12:04 PM   #4
Major Player

Silas,

The only thing that will help your AVCHD editing performance, as Harm stated, would be to get yourself an entirely new computer system. This is because any upgrades to that old dual-core system would cost you much more money than the performance benefit justifies; in fact, you could spend thousands, if not tens of thousands, of dollars on that old rig and its overall performance would still be significantly slower than even a cheapo modern Intel i3-powered beginners system.

In other words, don't spend a dime for incremental upgrades on that old LGA 775 rig. Even a $10 upgrade would go to waste.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 09:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Bite the bullet and pick up an I7 with at least 12 gb of RAM. You'll be glad you did. Adobe has made massive strides in performance with the 2014 cc updates. You can have it all for $50 a month but it probably won't help your current plight.
Dave O'Melia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite