DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Premiere/AME Long Render Crash (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/524241-premiere-ame-long-render-crash.html)

Steven Bills July 23rd, 2014 11:30 AM

Premiere/AME Long Render Crash

Hi everyone,

It was requested that I film our company's monthly meeting, so I setup two cameras (XF-305s if it matters) and went at it. I then offloaded all of that footage (only about 64GB worth) onto one of our external G-raid firewire drives, and edited a multi-cam sequence from there, and inserted graphics, etc...

Anyway, the time has come to render the video, and it's about 1 hr and 44 minutes long, so it's not exactly short. Anyway, I selected the 720p YouTube Mp4 preset in Premiere and it has consistently crashed about 3 times, as well as trying to render it out through AME. I just tried rendering it again (it said that it would only take about an hour to render the whole project, so I sat here and made sure that the drive didn't go to sleep or anything like that. Is that even a possibility?), and it crashed about half-way through again. The 720p Mp4 YouTube preset DOES have it encoding as a 2-pass VBR. Should I change it to one pass? Because it's crashing on that second pass.

I'm using CC 2014 with a brand new MacPro, and this shouldn't be happening. Any thoughts/comments as to why this could be happening? I know there is an issue with the new 2014 and the MacPro, but I haven't had any issues thus far. Just this.

SB

Jeff Pulera July 23rd, 2014 12:04 PM

Re: Premiere/AME Long Render Crash

When importing (non-tape) footage, best practice is to copy entire contents of memory card to hard drive, not just video clips, then use Media Browser for import. Maybe unrelated, just putting that out there not knowing your workflow.

Export fails are often caused by a single-frame gap in the timeline, make sure there are no gaps, may need to zoom in to check.

Thanks

Steven Bills July 23rd, 2014 12:40 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, Jeff. I meant to say that I transferred all the files from the card onto the HDD, so the metadata is still intact.

Also, I just tried rendering it again as a VBR 1 Pass, and it worked! Success!

Still unsure why the 2-pass VBR wouldn't work though...

SB

Pete Bauer July 23rd, 2014 02:28 PM

Steven,

As my editing PC is getting long in the tooth, I've been considering giving Mac a try.

But I haven't done so yet because I've been following some threads in the Adobe user forums that have been ongoing for many months about rendering problems on Macs, especially the nMP. There were a lot of complaints about rendering glitches on machines with OSX 10.9.3. Seems that 10.9.4 and CC 2014 have improved the situation for many people, but there are still glitches being reported.

Based on the info in those threads, if you have 10.9.3, you might back up your system and then give a clean install of 10.9.4 a try. That MAY reduce your chance of render problems with Adobe software on the nMP.

Steven Bills July 23rd, 2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Bauer (Post 1856187)
Steven,

As my editing PC is getting long in the tooth, I've been considering giving Mac a try.

But I haven't done so yet because I've been following some threads in the Adobe user forums that have been ongoing for many months about rendering problems on Macs, especially the nMP. There were a lot of complaints about rendering glitches on machines with OSX 10.9.3. Seems that 10.9.4 and CC 2014 have improved the situation for many people, but there are still glitches being reported.

Based on the info in those threads, if you have 10.9.3, you might back up your system and then give a clean install of 10.9.4 a try. That MAY reduce your chance of render problems with Adobe software on the nMP.

Pete,

Yes I've been following those issues on different boards as well. I just looked which OS version I have installed, and it's indeed 10.9.4.

Dave O'Melia July 25th, 2014 10:24 PM

For reference, I am using a quad processor I7 windows 8.1 system. Export has been flawless. I usually use the queue option and let media encoder handle it. I use speedgrade for most of my projects. Want to make sure you know this isn't a windows vs Mac post. Just for your reference.
If I were having those kind of problems, the first thing I would check would be memory, but if others with the same operating system are having trouble...

Ron Little July 27th, 2014 09:09 AM

Try going to project manager and make a trimmed project, move it or save it to a hard drive on your computer, then export your files. I have had luck with this in the past.