Flickering problem - 25i - DVD - Premiere at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 27th, 2014, 01:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Flickering problem - 25i - DVD - Premiere

Hello, I got little big problem.

Everything is ok with basic interlace. I export MPEG2-DVD 25i, upper field first.

But when fast moving camera there appears some flicker effect. I dont like that. The most is seen on red shirts of girls, have you any idea what is wrong and how to repair that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNKF...ature=youtu.be

Best regards, Primoz Lazar
Primoz Lazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Flickering problem - 25i - DVD - Premiere

Without knowing the actual cause of the problem -- some sensors are prone to flicker ---there is a motion tool in Premiere Pro to help relieve this: {quote from help file}

Eliminate flicker
Thin lines and sharp edges in images sometimes flicker when shown on interlaced displays, such as many TV screens. The Anti-flicker Filter
control, located in the Effect Controls tab > Motion effect, can reduce or eliminate this flicker. As you increase its strength, more flicker is
eliminated, but the image also becomes softer. You may need to set it relatively high for images with lots of sharp edges and high contrast.
1. Select a clip in a Timeline panel, and click the Effect Controls tab.
2. Click the triangle next to the Motion heading to open the Motion controls.
3. Click the triangle next to the Anti-flicker Filter heading.
4. Drag the Anti-flicker Filter slider to the right to increase the strength of the filter.
5. Press the spacebar to preview the clip. Increase the filter strength if flicker is still visible, or decrease it if the image is too soft.
You can change the intensity of the Anti-flicker Filter over the duration of a clip by setting Anti-flicker Filter keyframes at different values.

This might also be caused by what's called "rolling shutter" in which the image is scanned from top to bottom rather than as a whole frame -- common in some dslr's and camcorders with CMOS sensors----and there is a separate fix for this in CS6 and above. Video tutorial here: https://www.video2brain.com/en/lesso...utter-repair-1
|

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; July 27th, 2014 at 05:37 PM.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 03:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for good reply. I tried with Anti flicker but there isnt problem in it.
My problem isnt resolved.

When camera angle moves frome right to left, there on red girls (playback on TV- DVD) appears some noise, I think that is seen just on red color, other colors dont do that, like black, white, and all others. This is the most seen on red colors, that flickering, red becomes noisy.

I dont know why is that happening at fast movement of camera. Maybe not enough big Bitrate or something?

Thanks, Primoz.
Primoz Lazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 06:23 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primoz Lazar View Post
...when fast moving camera there appears some flicker effect. I don't like that.
Slow down your pan. A lot. Whip pans always do this, even film cameras do. That's why you very seldom see whip pans at the cinema. That, and most people find a whip pan rather disorienting and unpleasant, and it clearly calls attention to the camera and away from the subject.

The other alternative is to raise your frame rate. The higher your frame rate, the faster you can pan without flicker. Yet, this isn't a very practical solution.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 12:33 PM   #5
Trustee

I've no idea if if will help, but PAL DVD should be Lower Field First.
Old July 29th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #6
Major Player

Normally pal DVD is lower when the source is SD, but if the source is upper like HD so should the mpeg2-dvd file.
Old July 30th, 2014, 12:23 PM   #7
Trustee

Well there you go. Thanks Ann, I didn't know that.
Old July 30th, 2014, 12:42 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
I've no idea if if will help, but PAL DVD should be Lower Field First.
The PAL DVD simple must be interlaced. Usually a DVD produced from the DV source have lower fields first and from all other sources have upper fields first.
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite