Adobe Premiere and AE CC 2014 issues resolved? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 11th, 2015, 03:26 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Adobe Premiere and AE CC 2014 issues resolved?

Thanks for this info Peter.

I was wondering how 2014.2 was performing as more than a week ago someone posted on the Adobe forum and asked for confirmation from anyone who was NOT having issues issues with it/who thought it was working well on the new Mac Pro....and as yet not one single person had posted a reply!

I may try 2014.2 in anger this coming week - on a simple job to test the water. A new client and they want a simple, essentially minimal edit. Its a 2 cam shoot I'm doing - just a CEO of multinational doing a 30-minute presentation to all the employees in a hi tech factory near Cambridge.

Will post back how I get on with 2014.2 once the edit is delivered.
Old January 12th, 2015, 10:13 AM   #17
Trustee

Andy, I have Win 7 machines, and it seems to me that the greater majority of issues are with Mac. Still, how are you going to know unless you try?

My only advice is to finish up and get sign off on any current projects, first. Some things never change. The CC monthly subscription scheme has lulled new editors into constant upgrades that risk breaking systems mid project, losing work/hours and having to roll back in a rush to meet deadlines. Then posting long rants and blaming Adobe for their issues. Nobody wins.
Old January 12th, 2015, 10:29 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Yes, yes, I know all those golden rules and follow them religeously! I will try 2014.2 on my new Mac Pro for this particular, simple and stand alone client job. Many of my other current jobs are very involved/long term projects that I can't risk glitches with - so are being completed in CS6 on my old "locked down" Mac Pro and RAID systems.

Will let you all know how I get on.
Old January 24th, 2015, 11:02 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Re: Adobe Premiere and AE CC 2014.2 Working Well

I have an update to report - a bit later than I expected.

As it turns out, the US arm of the client I was shooting for week before last decided (at the last minute - literally as I was setting up to shoot) that they wanted all my raw footage sent to another video company for the editing - so that one just became a hand-off job. The client was good enough to pay me for the editing time I never did though, as that's what I was contracted to do, so I'm happy ;-)

Now to the point, it looks like good news with my new Mac Pro running the recent Adobe CC 2014.2 update (for full specs of this system see earlier in this thread).

In the last couple of days, I started editing some 1080p50 AVCHD2 28Mbps footage shot in Barcelona. Everything (so far) has been rock solid, fast and responsive and pretty much a joy to work on. About the only thing I've not liked is trying to keyframe those (near invisible) blue markers and squinting at the blue text - bring back the yellow please Adobe!

It's been like night and day compared to the crash prone 2014.1. The project is far from finished but I've just now rendered out a 10-minute 1080p25 20Mbps H.264 to check it would do that without crashing or any visual artefacts being produced. Again it all now seems to "just work" exactly as it should/as reliably as my old Mac Pro chews through projects with CS6. Phew!!! Project is not heavy in effects but it is a multi-track edit with some colour correction, warp stabiliser on occasional clips etc. etc.

I stress, the ONLY change on my system is the CC update from 2014.1 to 2014.2 and this is only my first foray into trying it out - but so far so good. When I get the chance I'll also throw my more usual PMW-300 XDCAM422/50Mbps (or try XAVC 100Mbps) and C100 AVCHD media into a project and see if this new found stability holds.
Old January 27th, 2015, 05:27 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Re: Adobe Premiere and AE CC 2014 - Working Well Still

Just a further quick update - finished editing this 19-minute film this morning. Rendered out all the various HD (and a MPEG2-DVD) formats that the client needs. First time I've actually heard my new Mac Pro's fan kick into more intensive action than it's usual VERY quiet whisper....although the louder fan in my G-Tech G-Speed Studio R Thunderbolt 2 RAID array does tend to drown it out a bit - might look into locating that unit further away - on the end of a much longer TB cable!

Pleased to report there were no glitches anywhere in the final editing, addition of stills and graphics and all the encoding. I did not need to use Audition or AE at all in this project - those will also be tested on the next one, I suspect. So, several frustrating months after I subscribed to Adobe CC, it seems that with 2014.2, at last, I now have Adobe NLE software that works as it should. About time too...Reminder, my system is deliberately held back at Mavericks - Yosemite is not an officially supported Mac OSX yet for Adobe CC.

Still got learning FCPX on my schedule though (looking at Rick Young's excellent FCPX 2nd Edition guide that's been sitting on my desk this last week or two right now).

But before I read that, my next job is to clone my Mac Pro's SSD (using Carbon Copy Cloner) and stick that in the safe/start thinking about locking down this system. I'll then start throwing more new commercial jobs at 2014.2. Before I totally lock it down, I'm also going to update FCPX to 10.1.4 and learn that (with a personal project - recent family holiday stuff initially).

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; January 27th, 2015 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Ha! Seems I always spell quiet wrong!
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 12:02 PM   #21
Trustee

Reminder, my system is deliberately held back at Mavericks - Yosemite is not an officially supported Mac OSX yet for Adobe CC.

Lots of truth to having a locked down system, regardless of OS. I have one at CS3 locked into XP when 100% cineform pipeline worked. Another at CS6 on win7 for DVD and legacy. I hate win8, will never touch it and live with win7 until the bitter end. I was working fine all flavors of CC up to 2014.2, and I had to perform a clean install for 2014.1 and again for 2014.2. Too many issues with corrupted DLLs and registry settings. I've ghosted all my systems. When the next update hits, I'll sign off the license, ghost the base system and install the update, clean.

SSD's for system are extremely fast at the risk of hard faults (as I run my machines for day's straight). I lost one after one a month of use! A liteon. Swapped in a Sandisk Extreme and was back in business an hour later -that was two weeks ago. I've since purchased a spinning disk on the ready in case it goes. I'll never use SSDs for RAID. Nothing beats hefty hard drives in an adequately cooled space.

Anyway, I'm also very pleased with 2014.2. Just exported a ten minute 2K MXF program in three different flavors of eye candy, simultaneously in just shy of 12 minutes total, with linked comps -not one hiccup and faster than real-time. It's been months since I've had to stay late, or camp out over the weekend.

Gotta go find some real wood to knock on...
Old February 13th, 2015, 06:26 PM   #22
Adobe Systems

Re: Adobe Premiere and AE CC 2014 - Working Well Still

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Just a further quick update - finished editing this 19-minute film this morning. Rendered out all the various HD (and a MPEG2-DVD) formats that the client needs.
Hi Andy,
Glad to hear it!

Thanks,
Kevin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite