Adobe Premiere and AE CC 2014 issues resolved? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old September 23rd, 2014, 08:48 AM   #1
Trustee

Adobe Premiere and AE CC 2014 issues resolved?

Can anybody weigh in on their CC 2014 experiences? I am particularly concerned with the plugin support. I have been using the original CC versions of Premiere and After Effects with an assortment of plugins and I heard horror stories early on with the 2014 CC update. I have held off until now but I am about ready to update and still have reservations about the stability.

Any advise and expertise that you guys can impart...especially regarding plugin support? I really don't want to upgrade only to find out my system becomes unstable.

Thanks.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 10:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Adobe Premiere and AE CC 2014 issues resolved?

i'd be interested in people's thoughts as well, i've been getting my money's worth out of CS6 and waiting for the bugs/kinks to get worked out of CC. A few folks have told me it's gotten a lot better on the bug front, but more chimes the better.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 11:36 AM   #3
Trustee

Darren,

I can say without a doubt that the original Creative Cloud versions of Premiere and After Effects are pretty solid for me. Rarely have issues at all, even with a bunch of 3rd party plugins....several just copied over from Adobe CS5.5 installations that I already have.

The concern I have is that I saw a lot of reports back in June when the Creative Cloud 2014 version released and several 3rd party plugin developers released updates due to compatibility issues.

I can update and I believe both the original CC from last year and the new 2014 versions from this year should be able to coexist with minimal issues. I will make a full system backup before I do this of course!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 11:27 PM   #4
Trustee

Update: Huge issues with CC 2014.1, had to roll back to 2014.0.1. Completely unstable as of current use. I browse the forums and continue to see the same issues with users having to roll back. I'm waiting for .2 release.

A year later and I still keep CS6 on-board for a couple of reasons, Flash and DVD. No reason to dump it, but I have great results with dynamic interoperability between PPro and AE CC up to 2014.0.1.
Old November 28th, 2014, 09:26 AM   #5
Inner Circle

IMPORTANT: Engage rant filter before proceeding...

I became a Adobe CC subscriber in October and I have had huge issues with the very latest CC2014.1 on my brand new 8-Core Mac Pro (D700s, 32GBRAM) running last version of Mavericks too - don't even dare try Yosemite!

Completely clean install but very, VERY unstable/frequent crashes...don't touch it with a barge pole until Adobe sorts it out. Good job I have CS6 on my old Mac Pro and rMBP to fall back on, both running last version of Mountain Lion (and it's superbly stable/effective). I also have a very busy client editing schedule at the moment so I needed these CC2014.1 issues like a hole in the head...

The blue typeface (etc.) of the latest CC2014 is also unusable for any extended editing periods too, unless you want major eyestrain. Just try key framing with it....That's (another) nightmare with this CC2014 - bring back yellow!

As Peter indicates, the official Adobe forum on Premier Pro etc. is full of people having major issues right now so read more on there...

Starting to learn FCPX...

Rant over.
Old November 28th, 2014, 12:07 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
The blue typeface (etc.) of the latest CC2014 is also unusable for any extended editing periods too, unless you want major eyestrain.
Not my experience. I find it very pleasant. Perhaps there is something wrong with your monitor?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 02:51 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Nothing wrong with my monitors... Both brand new (and I have to say superb) 27-inch Dell U2713H monitors. I know I am not alone in hating this new "look".

Happy it works for you. Definitely, it does not work for me but each to their own. I'll accept blue...If I REALLY have to.

I just want a stable, usable tool that I can use professionally. That's why I am paying Adobe a monthly subscription, right?

So far, that has not been the case...and from what I have read (unfortunately) I am very far from being alone in my frustration with Adobe over this.
Old November 30th, 2014, 12:04 PM   #8
Major Player

andy-

i have read several thread about premiere pro cc and the mac pro.

maybe this would be helpful:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1412328

ymmv

be well.

rob
smalltalk productions/nyc
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks Rob. I have studied that depressing thread many times - and others like it.

I have a pretty simple setup and I have tried many of the "possible solutions" suggested by Adobe on that and other threads but so far it's not improved anything regarding stability and crashes.

When I get time I will have another go at being an Adobe software beta tester (maybe I should start charging them my normal day rate....) but I have a number of tasks which have higher priority right now!
Old November 30th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
I have a pretty simple setup
What do you mean by a "simple setup" explicitly? What external drives are attached? What 3rd party plugins do you have installed? (both trial and paid)?
Old December 1st, 2014, 05:19 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Hardware:

New Mac Pro, 8-Core, D700s, 32GB RAM, 500GB Flash Drive
2 off Dell U2713H Monitors (2560x1440p)
G-Tech G-Speed Studio, the new black unit they do (12TB, 4 Bay Thunderbolt 2 External storage & configured as RAID5, the default, for safety). This is where any media for work in progress projects is (or will be)
Edirol MA-15D speakers

Software:

OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks (updated from 10.9.4 that the new Mac Pro arrived with before I installed any NLEs)
New/Clean install of Adobe CC2014.1
New/Clean install of FCPX 10.1.3
New/Clean install of Compressor 4.1.3
New/Clean install of Motion 5.1.2

All software is fully up to date except OSX (no Yosemite for me just yet...)

No plug-ins (yet)

That's it. See simple...

I tried a VERY simple film to "commission" this new system - 2 camera edit (talking head 1-2 shots filmed on both PMW-300 (wide) and C100 (close in) and it struggled, kept crashing (especially when rendering to either 1080p H.264 or Prores 422). Eventually, I managed to get a complete export in Prores without it crashing (after about 20 attempts) and then finished the project (minor amendments that the client then wanted) on my old Mac Pro (running CS6 - simply by overlaying/chopping any changes needed to the Prores file in the timeline).

Busy this next 10 days with other ongoing filming work but will come back to this after that and try and find the best solution...one that at least works!
Old December 14th, 2014, 09:35 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Not much help to you I'm afraid but another happy Premiere Pro CC 2014 (latest version) user here.

I've been using CC since I updated CS6 last year and not seen too many problems. Had a few problems using footage from an EX3, but even that seems to have been sorted now.

I also find the new BLUE work environment easier to use, but I guess it would have been nice if Adobe had offered a choice to users.

I'm a PC user, i7 system on Win7.
Paul Ekert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Looks like Adobe have been working on bug fixes with this CC2014.2 update. Not tried it out yet personally - but let's hope successfully.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1660329

Long list of fixes in the first post. The second post is well worth reading too.

Apologies for posting a link to another Forum - but it is the official Adobe PP forum and highly relevant information to this particular DVInfo thread.
Old December 17th, 2014, 04:58 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Appreciated Andy. I would like to hear what your feedback is with it since you'd had such a nasty time with it on your Mac Pro.
Old January 11th, 2015, 12:03 AM   #15
Trustee

Update. 2014.2 is working well. One system required a rebuild. Helped a few folks on the Adobe Forum. Most issues were related to the usual: poorly configured systems, dated drivers and using mismatch versions of the software in dynamic linking.

Overall, I'm impressed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite