DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Main PC components for Video Editing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/526538-main-pc-components-video-editing.html)

Matt Thomas January 21st, 2015 01:14 PM

Main PC components for Video Editing

Hi guys,

Looking to build a new PC shortly and was wondering what the main components I need to the powerful the better.

I thought I need a fast CPU and good graphics card, and perhaps a SSD hard drive for the OS drive, but wasn't sure about ram is anything over 12gb overkill or does having 32GB of ram (how much I have in the Mac at work) actually have a huge effect on Editing, Rendering and Exporting?

Thanks guys,

Battle Vaughan January 21st, 2015 03:35 PM

Re: Main PC components for Video Editing

You will get more detailed answers, but two things you bring up: more memory is a great bonus if you use After Effects, because the previews are rendered to RAM and the more you have, the more you can see. The graphics card best supported by Adobe products is the NVidia line, the more memory and CUDA cores the better. Rendering in the Mercury engine in Premiere is specific to NVidia technology. RAID drives are often suggested to speed up read/writes, particularly if you do long sequences.

Joshua Reafsnyder January 25th, 2015 07:34 PM

I cannot find the site I used for building my PC, but here is a good one that explains the different components.

Building a Photo and Video Editing PC on a Budget 2014

Two things to note. I got a top of line I5 processor because that is what I could afford. I would recommend getting a fast I7 processor if you can afford it. Premiere is CPU hog when it renders. I looked at my resource monitor and my CPU is running 90-100% the entire time when it renders, but it only uses about 8gb of RAM. But again as the previous person mentioned it depends on the program. Some programs are RAM hogs. Also look at adobe and see what video cards they have listed on their compatible list. I believe they are Nvida. Get the best video card (fastest gpu) with the most amount of dedicated memory on board. Unless I am wrong, I believe premiere relies on the video card to do most of the on the fly rendering/playback when you are working in it. And I believe Davinci Resolve wont even run if you dont have a compatible Nvida card. Davinci relies solely on the video card for all its rendering.

So for me the two things that seem to make the most difference is the video card and the CPU.

I would say look at the recommendations from the manufactures of the software you want to use. As mentioned different programs are coded to use more of certain resources than others. Like Davinci relies heavily on the video card.

Harm Millaard January 26th, 2015 04:32 AM

Take a look at the articles here: Tweakers Page