DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Opening project with dynamic linking in newer version (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/526916-opening-project-dynamic-linking-newer-version.html)

Walter Brokx February 17th, 2015 12:18 PM

Opening project with dynamic linking in newer version

I've got a question:
There is a PPro project using AE composition in the timeline with Dynamic linking I can either edit on the machine with CS5.5 or I upgrade to CS6, so one of my partners can work on it as well, when I'm occupied with other things. (Using a mirrored disk)

And as we all know: when you open a project made with an older version of PPro or AE you'll have to resave it with a new name.
But what does it mean for the Linked AE compositions?
Their link will point to the old project. If I resave that project with a new name, it still will point to the old project, right? Or does it work again when I give the new project file the old name?

So my question is:
does anyone have experience with this?

The saying goes: never upgrade during a project and this is upgrading... but if it just goes flawlessly it will be an improvement.
If it goes wrong it messes up a complex project.

Ann Bens February 20th, 2015 10:25 AM

Re: Opening project with dynamic linking in newer version

I would not count on flawless.

John Wiley February 24th, 2015 12:15 AM

I'm actually having kind of the opposite problem at the moment. I've got CC and CS6 installed and working on the same machines.

Unfortunately, much of my work still has to be done in CS6 to keep compatibility with other editors. However when I try to edit an audio file in Audition or create/edit a dynamically linked AE composition from within CS6, it always opens up the CC versions. Is there any way to make sure that Premiere CS6 will only dynamically link to other CS6 programs, not to CC versions?

Bruce Watson February 24th, 2015 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter Brokx (Post 1877064)
So my question is:
does anyone have experience with this?

Didn't your mother teach you not to play with fire? You guys mixing and matching Adobe versions are just asking for a world of hurt. My advice: Do not do this. And if you insist on doing it anyway, back the frell up. Everything.

The problem is that Adobe scatters files hither and yon. You'll likely never find them all. It's a PITA to just move a project from one machine to the next even if you maintain Adobe versions (back when you could anyway). The new machine will constantly complain of missing files until you find them all and move them. A real, serious, PITA. AKA "the Adobe way".

Don't shoot me; I'm just the messenger.

Walter Brokx February 25th, 2015 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Watson (Post 1877808)
Didn't your mother teach you not to play with fire? You guys mixing and matching Adobe versions are just asking for a world of hurt. My advice: Do not do this. And if you insist on doing it anyway, back the frell up. Everything.

The problem is that Adobe scatters files hither and yon. You'll likely never find them all. It's a PITA to just move a project from one machine to the next even if you maintain Adobe versions (back when you could anyway). The new machine will constantly complain of missing files until you find them all and move them. A real, serious, PITA. AKA "the Adobe way".

Don't shoot me; I'm just the messenger.

Never had that problem when moving to another machine: I just use external hard drives.

I think I'll just drop by at a friend to open the project in CS6 to see what happens.
(Backups are in place)

It's just that the project will go on for a while.
If I can do the upgrade now it will be less trouble than when I 10 videos further.