Capture questions. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 7th, 2015, 07:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Capture questions.

Hi im using the advc 100 digitizer with firewire to capture hi8 tapes to ppcs6. Problem 1. The capture sequence detects scenes and stops capturing and wants me to save therecorded clip. If im not there the tape will keep playing and nothing else will get recorded. The "detect scenes" is unticked on the capture window. Cant i just record the whole tape without interruption? If so, how? 2. Seems as though the recorded clips will play when put in a sequence, the video wont but the audio does. Wierd. If i scrub through the clip either in the imported media window or source window or preview window or timeline it advances then but if i hit play i hear the audio play but the video stays where the cti is sitting. Any ideas? Im sure its settings but not sure where.

Thanks
Gary
Gary A. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Capture questions.

One thought, if you are on a PC with FAT32 format on your hard disk, there is a 4 gb max file size, perhaps you are hitting a file size limit?

As to the video not playing but the audio does, sounds like a codec problem, except of course that PPro has (avi with a dv codec for PC, quicktime for Mac) it's own recording codec that apparently is recording --- so you'd think it would play back....but the symptoms sure feel like a missing or corrupt codec....
Did you select the correct capture mode in Project Settings, and the appropriate setup in Sequence Settings?
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 03:07 AM   #3
Major Player

I found that this ScenalyzerLive Page was very respected in its day. Give it a try and see for yourself. It's now free.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 10:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Well i found that if i disconnect the Digitizer from the pc the clips play back fine. Have to work out why and fix other problems now but happy so far.
Gary A. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 11:33 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Gary,

The "Scene Detect" feature uses the date stamp/time info in the video stream to determine where the scene breaks are, which are every time recording in the DV camera was started or stopped. The time data is found in streams over 1394 from miniDV and HDV camcorders.

As you are using an analog video source, and converting it to DV, that time data is NOT present in the stream and Premiere does not detect based on scene content changing, only on the time data, so it is NOT going to scene detect your footage.

That said, my guess as to why the capture stops at certain points is there are likely gaps in the recording and that makes it stop capturing, when a bad signal comes through.

Thanks
Old March 10th, 2015, 06:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff, i have another problem now. as soon as i click the record button on the capture window i get the message "Recorder captured no frames" instantly regardless if there is an input signal or not, lucky i have lots of hair! It WAS working FINE....OMG Oh, and is there any way to override the end of clips being detected so i can set and forget? Cheers.
Gary A. Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite