4:3 Footage editing question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 24th, 2015, 03:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

4:3 Footage editing question

A client recently approached me about editing footage they have for a documentary. They have been going back and forth to Panama shooting a tribe - great footage. All the footage they have shot is on Sony mini-dv tapes in SH 4:3. Ultimately, they would like to enter the finished film to film festivals, duplicated on DVDs, and if good enough, maybe a cable tv channel.

My question is, how should I edit this footage? I know some film festivals require final digital videos be 16:9, as well as for broadcast (knowing some will not even look at it if not HD). Should I make my timeline in Premiere just the standard 4:3 project, edit, then end up with the movie in the timeline at 4:3. Then I can open a new 16:9 project, import the 4:3 film, and stretch the left and right sides to fill the frame?

Or maybe some other process is the better route?
Rick Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 03:21 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: 4:3 Footage editing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Miller View Post
Then I can open a new 16:9 project, import the 4:3 film, and stretch the left and right sides to fill the frame?
I'm not sure what the solution is to using SD 4:3, and undoubtedly REC.601. But distorting the image is bad. Unacceptable. As in, I'll get up and walk out if you try to make me watch it. Everyone can see the distortion as soon as the first person shows up on screen.

The best thing is perhaps to be honest about it and pillar box it.

On the plus side, DVD is all about SD and works fine with 4:3 aspect ratio and indeed with the REC.601 color space, so no problem there.

TV stations all have their own individual standards for submissions. But if the content is compelling...
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite